Rear Axle Removal & Rust (95 Legacy)

Any idea how much it will cost if a repair shop drops my rear axle and gas tank to replace my rear brake line---but, due to excessive rust on the axle, they might not be able to re-attach it. What are my options??

Tks....Regards, John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Just a thought but what about just rerouting a new line that doesn't invovle removing the entire rear suspension?

Reply to
johninKY

Great idea.....I was told that by a buddy at work. My neighbor and I tried.....but, the way the Subbie is set up---I cannot get access to where the brake line ends....it appears to be up/behind the gas tank and axle.

Unless someone can share a way of doing it without removing the rear end/gas tank?!?!

Tks...John

Reply to
SKCS, USN

Dropping the entire rear suspension isn't the end of the world. A few years ago I did it (XT6) using just hand tools. Took me about 2 hours to have all of it out and out of the way. But i didn't have any rust to deal with. I doubt if you can have someone else do this for less than $500. A couple of cans of PB Blaster and an electric impact gun could save you a lot of money.

Reply to
johninKY

The part of brake line that is routed above the gas tank, etc. is stainless steel, and shouldn't rust. The only reason I can see to replace this would be if it were cut or crimped as a result of an accident. And it would have to be a pretty good one to extend damage that far inboard. The flexible part of the line can be replaced w/o removing anything besides the wheel and caliper, maybe not even the caliper . . . But if you _do_ need to remove the gas tank read on.

I'm trying to visualize what it looks like under there. I seem to recall that you can get the fuel tank out without having to disconnect the axles or drive shaft from the rear diff. The differential is attached to a carrier, which is then bolted to the body thru 2 rubber bushings. I think that if you remove the nuts that retain the carrier, the whole shebang will drop down enuf to let you slide the tank out. Worse case if it's severely rusted, you would then have to rework the threads on the carrier studs. If the body back there is so rusty that the studs are unusable, the rest of the body is probably shot as well, and I'd start looking for another ride.

Hope this is helpful.

ByeBye! S.