Rear end coil springs

I am going to replace all four struts on my FWD Legacy 95 (rear struts are gone, fronts are leaking). I am wondering if I need to replace the rear end coil springs as well. The car has 140K on it and the rear end sits lower than the front. Is this normal? How can I tell for sure if the rear coil springs need to be replaced? Or would the new struts lift the rear end a little?

Thanks!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I have the same car (TCS FWD 95 Legacy). Much more peppy than the AWD version, and with offset mags, it looks mean! I changed the struts on my older Legacy FWD LS 90 (270K). The tail end lifted a bit with the newer struts, but not enough to rebalance the look of the car, as the front also lifted a bit with the new struts. The 95 is due for new struts at the front, they're leaking too. I will not change the coil springs at the front, but I think I will at the back, unless there are good spacers available to lift the back. I had Munroes gas-charged installed on the '90. They became too stiff as they aged. I'll try another brand. Maybe KYB. While you're at it, have the strut mounts changed too. Mine broke not long after the new struts have been changed in the back. Also, there's been a recall on the front coil mounts for corrosion, while you're at it too. Enjoy your car, it's worth keeping it alive for many more years.

Reply to
Felix Crashalot