rear wiper motor?

Starting yesterday, I noticed that my OBW's rear wiper was going really slow. Starting today, it just got stuck in the middle of the rear windshield. I had to get home and put the wiper back down by hand. Could this be a lubrication issue on the wiper motor?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Motor and gear box are sealed units IIRC, tho perhaps you might be able to separate the motor from the gearbox and install a new motor? Check to be sure you are getting a full 12V back to the assembly. If that looks OK, probably easiest to just replace it with a junk-yard part.

Mmmmm, if you were able to move it by hand, likely the nut that holds the wiper arm to the output shaft is loose. Pull up the plastic cover and apply a wrench; see if that doesn't fix your problem.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

Yeah, that might be it. I'll try that tomorrow.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

I just replaced the rear wiper motor assembly on my 98 Impreza. Cost $145.00. I wanted to find out why it failed. It did the same thing you discribed. After removing the assembly, I disassembled the motor and gearbox. I found that the post that goes from the gearbox to the wiper was frozen with corrosion and that the motor itself was just fine. If you can get some penetrating oil into that post you may be able to free it. If you are a mechanical type, I would suggest taking the whole thing apart but be careful, there is a lock ring at the end of the shaft just below where the wiper arm attaches.

Reply to
GEO

I've just run into the lock ring, yesterday. Didn't have a socket large enough to take it off. And yes, there's a lot of rust on it. I've tried a little bit of WD-40 on it already, but it's not budging. I'm heading to the dealership now.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

$145 is pretty cheap. I got my motor from the dealership for Cdn$215, which is probably close to US$200. Did you go to some place else other than the dealership to get it?

BTW, I was able to finally remove and replace the motor. I'm glad I did it myself, saved a couple of hundred bucks in labor I'm sure. The toughest part was running around trying to find the right sized wrench socket (23mm, one of the least common nut sizes in the universe!), and a big high-leverage wrench that would allow me to screw out that rusted-on lock nut. The job itself took maybe 1 hour.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Go online to AUBURN SUBARU. They are in Washington state, they are a Subaru dealer. Their prices are the lowest I've found so far. They sell OEM parts just like any other dealer. I have a list of parts I need that would cost me $632.00 US at the dealer here in New Hampshire. I can get the exact same parts from Auburn for $475.00 US WITH shipping included and then they ship them 3000 miles. I called and asked them why they are able to sell for so much less and the parts guy said "we sell ALOT of parts". Check them out.

George

Reply to
GEO