removal of panel around CD player

the cd player on my new 2006 legacy wagon now plays static and music, instead of just music. this started right after i went over a bump, so i suspect i just need to reseat a wiring harness. has anyone already taken off the panel that surrounds the cd player/radio/ac controls? i've done a little prying around a few edges, but things don't look good for success. success, in this case, being defined as pulling the panel off without breaking anything or marring it.

this makes me miss the tape deck/CD combo of my old outback even more...

-- The curtains are drawn, the door is shut, the grass needs watering, and a Subaru sits out front; the only signs of activity are the birds singing out back. --

banana