Replacement air filter for Subaru Forester

> I have a 2003. Took mine out to check for obstruction, and I found > quite a bit of dirt and a few leave fragments. Couldn't find one at > local stores, and didn't feel like running out to dealership... so.. > Rather than buy a new one, I vacuumed both sides, ran hot water > through element (with a bit of OxyClean for good measure!). Seemed > find structurally.. and good as new...so just put it back in. Sticky > stuff? Maybe I should have sprayed it with Endust?? Plan on checking > again next year.

I have a 2003 also but I wanted better air filtration than the standard filters because of the air quality here in the Washington D.C. Metro area.

Anyhow, I made my own three-phase electrostatic filter from scratch. Its not hard to do and it works *really* well--maybe too well; it actually took out the "new car" smell. :-)

As a side benefit, the electrostatic filter is a 'permanent' filter -- it is

*designed* to be rinsed and reused. That is, a person only buys one per car, ever.

If there is any interest I could post construction plans.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Pender

I too want to see the plans: My 2000 forester filter went to the garbage at

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I'm not really ready to post the plans yet--its going to take a while to write it up in detail. However, I am willing to make a few more filters for people. I'll need the dimensions of the cabin air filter in your car unless its also a 2003 Subaru Forester. Also, please send me a picture of your old filter if you can.

- Mike snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Michael Pender

But what kind of price are you talking?

on a 2003 Forster that is.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith

Materials to make the prototype cost approximately $35 in parts; it would be cheaper to make more than one at a time because much of the material otherwise goes to waste.

I've actually recieved a *lot* of requests already, and I'm not sure I want to get into the business of making filters for people. Instead I will probably offer detailed plans for sale via the web. Then people could download the plans and make their own filters.

I may reconsider selling the filters if I can find a commercial supplier willing to assemble and ship the filters.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Pender

Kits/plans may be just as good. Also , if making these, or even assembling /packaging kits, is not too tricky, there are often Lighthouse for the Blind and other organizations that are despaerate for work which can be done by disabled/challenged individuals. A guy I work with had some small items packaged by a group like that. fyi Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Michael Pender wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan