Replacement headlight bulb for 2001 Forrester?

Greetings all!

I have to replace the bulb for one of the headlights on my 2001 Forrester L. When I went to the auto supply shop, I became a little confused, so I thought I'd seek clarification in this newsgroup.

At the auto supply place, they had a couple classes of bulbs I could purchase, one of which claimed to be some kind of "upgrade" that claims to be 30% brighter. I don't know whether the bulbs that came with my Forrester were of the regular variety or of the "30% brighter variety," but I think I'd just like to approximate whatever my car came with, so I don't have to replace both bulbs.

OR...is it wiser to replace both bulbs at the same time, even if one of them is still functioning?

I live in a mountainous area where the highway I take to and from work is a "daylight headlight" highway, which means my headlights end up being on almost all the time I am driving the car. Consequently, I would be particularly interested in any kind of replacement bulb that has a reputation for longevity.

Given the specifics outlined above, what type of bulb is recommended by denizens of this newsgroup?

I believe the brand of replacement bulbs at the supply store was Sylvania brand -- should I look for another brand, or order another brand, or is Sylvania okay?

Are there any particularly tricky elements to bulb replacement that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Chuck

Reply to
Dolchas

Most parts stores I've been to carry Sylvania, GE, or Philips.

I don't know if Daniel J. Stern is monitoring this group. He will respond to posts on rec.autos.tech. I bought my Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstar H1 bulbs from him, and have been duly impressed by how much more of the road I can see at night.

Definitely if you're upgrading.

Daniel J. Stern has posted manufacturer's rated life for several bulbs of the same type. The long-life ones tend to last about twice as long as the "standard" ones, with a small penalty in light output. There also seem to be some bulbs that are specifically designed to last longer in systems with daytime running lights.

More light, long life - what is it? It's an either or if all you want is a new bulb. If you're willing to spend the big bucks, a real (not drop in bulb) HID retrofit kit will give you both.

Sylvania is fine. They are now owned by the German lighting company Osram. The "30% brighter" bulbs are probably the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs. Just don't get the "Cool Blue" or the Sylvania Silverstar - both cost more and produce less light than some of their cheaper bulbs. Your car uses the 9003 (dual filiment) bulb.

Osram Silverstar bulbs aren't sold through normal channels in the US; they're supposedly among the best available. You can find specialty retailers who get them through wholesale importers.

Haven't tried it yet on a 9003. The H1 was easier than I thought. I don't know about the Forrester, but I had to remove the battery in order to take out one of the bulbs.

Reply to
y_p_w

Quite likely a Sylvania Xtra-vision bulb? If so, I'd replace both at the same time, using your existing "good" bulb as a spare. I've used the Xtra-vision bulbs in a coupla cars now, and they work for me. Brighter than stock, not the brightest out there, but there's a cost/benefit tradeoff that doesn't favor the more expensive bulbs IME. Check with Daniel Stern as suggested for more info.

I've also found if you burn out an Xtra-vision bulb, you might as well replace both at the same time: they seem to be very well "quality controlled" regarding life expectancy! So if one goes, the other one's not far behind.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Wouldn't it be better to change it as late as possible after the other? Ideally, you'd want several months of difference between burn out times so you don't lose both of them on the same trip home...

Reply to
Cam Penner

Good point. That's why I always carry at least one spare. My experience with the Xtra-vision burn out times is they've gone within 2-4 weeks of each other. Maybe I've just been "lucky?"

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

These "high output" bulbs seem to have a reduced lifespan. The specs for the US-sold Sylvania 9003 bulbs (for the 2001 Forrester) are in the following link:

Rated low-beam life:

9003 CB (Cool Blue) : 150 hours 9003 LL (Long Life) : 800 hours 9003 ST (Silverstar) : 150 hours 9003 XV (XtraVision) : 150 hours

Really - I haven't heard of anyone with credibility who would recommend the Cool Blue or (Sylvania) Silverstars. They have a noticeable blue tinted filter, which makes it bluish by reducing light output.

Those specs don't have the light output, but the long life version is supposed to have a minimal drop in output compared to the standard version. I'm not sure which is the "standard" version in the spec, but I'd guess it's one of the bulbs with the 300 hour rated life. I'm not sure how much daytime running lights affect the lifespan of the bulbs, but I'd guess it's minimal compared to fully driving the bulbs. The rated life is also supposedly conservative, with the bulbs driven at the maximum voltage.

It sounds like you'd probably be happiest with a "long life" version of the bulbs. It's you choice.

Reply to
y_p_w