replacement station wagon recommendation

So my parents have a 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback Station Wagon. They liked it quite a bit, but had big problems starting around 2002. Lots of oil leaks, blown head gaskets. There was a recall involving some coolant additive to keep the coolant from degrading engine seals I think. Looks like this recall was administered too late to save our car's engine, or our vehicle was a lemon. We're actually going through the California BBB to get a better offer than the 3K worth of "shut-up" money they've offered so far, and hopefully get Subaru to buy this thing back since they've tried to fix it 6+ times at the dealer and failed to keep it from springing another leak.

My parents mostly drive their 2003 Prius (which they love), and liked the Subaru as their larger utility vehicle for camping trips and larger excursions where they'd like a bit more room and comfort.

Looking for a replacement station wagon, they want something roomy and comfortable, fairly quiet on the road, and fuel efficient / low emissions. They're not the type of folks to go for a luxury vehicle (Lexus, Mercedes, Cadillac) sort of car. Generally speaking my mom is put off by the price and doesn't really care for the "image" that she feels such a vehicle projects.

Unfortunately, it seems to me, those luxury vehicles are the only ones that I'd call quiet on the road. I remember infinity had lots of commercials back in the day about how quiet their cars were on the road. Are there any non "luxury" wagons that are quiet like that? The Subaru Outback, Ford Focus, Pasat Station Wagon, and the Volvo station wagons are the wagons that are most in my folks sights. I told them the Honda Fit had some really cool flexibility in the way the back seats could be moved around, but in terms of size and comfort for hauling around 4 or 5 adults, they'd prefer something a bit roomier.

As for the outback.. my parents are somewhat put off by their experience with their current one, but are likely to accept a replacement and an apology from Subaru. The Outback continues to have a pretty stellar consumer reports standing still. They were also put off by a 2004 maneuver where Subaru raised the car a bit to push it into a "light trucks" classification and side step some fuel economy rules.

here's an article on that sad story:

Just thought I'd post a quick note and check for some Internet wisdom in addition to my own web searching and research. Looks like the combo of not a "luxury vehicle," but on the quieter side, is a hard combo request to fill. Seems like the quieter vehicles are generally luxury models with lower mileage. I guess to make cars quieter, manufacturers are really stuck using heavier thicker components that add weight? This is certainly different than house insulation where lightweight things with air gaps get you effective noise reduction and temperature control. I suppose there isn't room for that type of "Bulk" on an auto though.

Thanks in advance for any fabulous suggestions, feedback, and personal experience you might have to share.

Reply to
hupjack

I would try the Mazda 6 wagon or better yet in terms of "solid feel" a Volkswagen Passat or Jetta wagon with TDI. Beware the Volkswagen "poor quality" history and both Mazda and Volkswagen "excpensive to service" reputation.

Grolch

Have u considered a Honda Odyssey or other minivan?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It doesn't really seem that your parents really need an off-road vehicle (i.e. going camping occasionally is not anything that requires

4WD most of the time). I could be wrong, do they live in a snowy area? If they lived in the snow belt or the woods, then a Subie might be something to go for again. But otherwise, why not just go with some kind of a mini-van?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

The sound deadeners sure do add A LOT of weight.

There is a lot of room for application of closed foam mats in doors, but not on the floor, roof and parts of the firewall.

One way to go about this is to buy Legacy with extended warranty, tear it apart and install prodigious amount of sound deadener materials such as RAAMmat, if you have time to tear all the trim out and do it yourself. Some parts like firewall are extremely hard to get to, so you end up getting what you pay for. Installing sound deadeners sucks up a lot of your time. Probably more so if you install any liquid ones. Prepare to spend a few weekends to do the whole 9 yards.

I was at a local auto show a few weekends back and Avant S4 was very impressive in terms of the stick feel (very fluid thing I should say, even better than ones on i335 and carrera) and sound insulation was very very good. Since that's what your folk want then they should consider spending the dough for a luxury car. It will be a portly beast too to do what you want it to do and cost an arm and leg.

I think others have offered sound advice by proposing to get a minivan as a more sensible, if pedestrian alternative. Mazda 5 should be a hoot to drive, but is a light funster, and, thus, does not offer the peace and quiet that you want.

Have fun.

Reply to
Body Roll