Replacement Tires for 2003 Forester

I currently have the OEM Yokohama Geolanders, which now have only

23,000 miles on them, but the tires look like they won't last too much longer?! I'm thinking I'll be lucky to get 30,000 -32,000 out of them. Noticed others were getting short life out of the Geolanders as well.

In my experience, the Geolander is a good tire on dry road, OK in the rain, but very poor in the snow.

I will be in the Sierra mountains around Lake Tahoe (snow and rain) quite a bit this winter, and I am loooking for a replacement tire for my Forester.

I want an "all season" tire that has a very good wet /snow handling characteristics. (I won't be exclusively in the rain/snow, but most weekends,and all winter hoiliday periods - probably 30-40 days - thus I can't go with a "traditional" snow tire)

Suggestions and experiences greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Horst

I don't have these myself (I have an 05 Outback XT) but I've read a lot of good things about them. They're the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. They seem a bit pricey but maybe you get what you pay for. I personally never liked Goodyear tires but these could be the exception. Anyhow you can check them out here.

Mike

Reply to
Passman

I've got the Michelin HydroEdge and so far they have been excellent. I have not driven them in snow yet - got them in August.

Reply to
A7N8X-X

I'm not sure what was on my '98 but they only lasted 23,000 miles. Mostly my fault because I ignored rotation and alignment. Got new set at NTW (did not record brand) and free alignment after 6,000 miles then errant PT cruiser demolished my car. Now with '03, I intend to keep an eye on. I had bought first Forester because some one stole and stripped wife's Mazda which also had new tires. Most annoying was not getting re-imbursed by insurance for new tires on both cars. Another observation, in my opinion, which may have changed over the years, is that Japanese are not as good as rest of world in stabilizing rubber stock and tires degrade more rapidly. I saw this in bicycle tires that would not last more than a year. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Just noticed someone selling 4 x 16" WRX alloys with snows on a later post than this. Worth looking into & then swapping them on and off on a needs basis? Yes it's a pain but it's much less of a compromise for given road conditions. A true all rounder can't exist, although some come closer than others. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Well, after several hours of research on a few forums, UseNet, and Tirerack.com, I finally decided on these:

Getting them installed tomorow.

I'll report back later and give you my opinions - but they are obviously going to be MUCH better tires than the Yokohama Geolander - which were essentially skis in the snow/

Reply to
Horst

I just replaced my Geolandars (04 Forester XS, 17,000km) with the Goodyear Triple Treads. Wow, what a difference, Tenacious grip in the wet and very good resistance to aquaplaning. I got $40CDN apiece trade in for the Geolandars too. Note the treadwear rating for the Geolandars is 320, Traction B. The Triple treads have 740 treadwear and Traction A. Consumers rates them over the Michelin Hydroedge. It feels like a whole new vehicle. I highly recommend these tires