Replacing 12vdc Power socket in console - Help!!!

My 12vdc power socket in the console is dead. The Dealer verified that the issue is with the socket itself and wants to charge $120 to replace it. I figure it cant be that hard, though I don't know how to take apart the console to get to the back of the socket.

Any Tips on taking apart the console to get to the Socket?

Any Recommendation on where to get a replacement Socket?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

oops, Its an 2003 Outback

Thanks

Reply to
Scott Townsend

I don't know where to get a socket, but it's a trivial task to replace it if you have a couple screwdrivers and basic skills.

Two screw under the armrest latch

Remove the rear console piece (hand brake)

Remove the front console piece (shifter)

Remove the ashtray

Remove two screws from under the top-front edge of the ashtray hole--need a stubby or offset phillips for this.

Remove the bezel that holds the lighter socket.

Some wigglin on the socket and it'll come out of the bezel. Might be nice to have a voltmeter here, just to check the power on the wires.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

I dunno about your car, but some folks have found a fuse buried under there. Don't buy a replacement socket until you have a look around.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks!! Too bad I didn't check for replies before Lunch.. (-; hehehe I'll see how it goes tonight or for Tomorrow's Lunch...

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Reply to
Scott Townsend

There isn't one in mine, but that's why I was thinking about a meter. How, exactly, would a socket go bad?

FWIW, there are connectors that slide onto the socket itself, and then there's *another* connector a few inches back towards the harness. Lot's of potential disconnects.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Not sure how. I hooked up a DC/AC Inverter and ran a 200w Halogen Light off it. The Inverter was rated at 400w with an 800w peak, but it died after being on for a few minutes. I'm guessing there was some wire that melted off the Connector.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Well on the Socket there is a Jumper Fuse/Wire that connects the Lead terminal to the center pin of the socket. It looks like they connected, but I think there is a little insulator washer between the two from the center nut/bolt. Then there is a wire/fuse that connects the 2 together. Putting the meter across those its not connected. So the Center terminal to the center of the socket is not connected.

Thinking of just jumpering the fuse... What a stupid place. I guess it to prevent the overload the wiring harness and frying the entire thing...

Local Auto place didn't have an 'easy' replacement part.

I can take Pictures if there is any interest...

Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

It's not a stupid place for it, that is a thermal fuse to prevent the socket from overheating. From your descripiton of what you were running off it it makes sense that this fuse blew. I'd suggest not connecting those items again once the socket is replaced, they should be run from a direct battery connections.

Reply to
mulder

Yeah. It was in a Pinch... Was out in the Back 40 and needed some light...

Know where I can get a replacement?

Reply to
Scott Townsend

If you can find a diagram or someone who's done this before or , maybe, just use the value fuse in the fuse box for that system, you can probably butt-splice in a fuse holdet and solder this back up. Hard to say nort seeing the unit. If a replacement is expensive, maybe a junkrad is an option.

email jamie thru

or other on-line OEM retailer for a price. usually cheaper than the dealer or you can make your dealer match the price. Since everything is apart anyway, you might also be able to upgrade the wiring and socket for the load you want to place there - but please do fuse it properly.

Carl

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
mulder

Local Dealer says its $35 for the Part.

I guess with Shipping and all that's not too bad. The $90 to install it is over the top though...

Let me know if you want a Picture, I could email a few to you...

Thanks, Scott Scott Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Scott Townsend

For what it's worth, the dash power outlet on my '96 Outback tests live with a test light or volt meter but doesn't work with my portable air compressor, for example. I suspect that contacts in the sockets get distorted or burned from overheating with the cigarette lighter and just don't make good contact anymore.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

Mine does not test good with the Meter.

The thermal fuse makes a disconnect between the+12VDC lead and the center Pin.

The the fuse is noth>

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Complete kit is $25 at