replacing bulb in driving lamp

How difficult would it be to replace the bulb on one of the driving lamps in my 2000 OBW? I've replaced my headlight bulbs before, but those are dead simple: you just unscrew a plug in the back of the headlight casing and then pull the bulb out. But the last time I looked, the manual seems to suggest that replacement of driving lamp bulbs is best left to the dealership. Opinions?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I have the same issue - 2000 Outback Wagon, need a lowbeam headlight buld replaced. I picked up a replacement H1 bulb, but it's not obvious how to get through the plastic shield covering the bulb sockets. Anyone done this, or have a diagram? Thanks.

Reply to
Zepp

I have the same issue - 2000 Outback Wagon, need a lowbeam headlight buld replaced. I picked up a replacement H1 bulb, but it's not obvious how to get through the plastic shield covering the bulb sockets. Anyone done this, or have a diagram? Thanks.

Reply to
Zepp

Access is from the back. Pop teh hood, there's a circular cover behind the headlight assembly that has a nice big fat handhold to rotate it about 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn and then you can work it to come off.

From there, the bulb is accessed by popping a retaining clip lever up after disconnecting the spade lug wire that's on it. The bulb just pulls right out. Carefully, without touching the new bulb with greasy human hands, insert the new bulb, drop the clip, hook the wire back up to it. replace the circular cover, and voila!

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.