Replacing Cassette with CD player

I've seen several posts in this forum in regards to having a difficult time in getting the Cassette/FM players replaced with off the shelf ones because of the dashpanel area being extremely limited in what can be installed. If I was to get a 2001 Outback would this model also be affected? If I wanted a CD player would I have to get one from the dealership/Subaru factory? Or would I be able to goto Circuit City, get an Alpine and call it a day?

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,

Voja

Bradley Walker wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Go to crutchfield.com and do it yourself

Reply to
jabario

On older models, this was a challenge. AFAIK, all of the newer models (mid 90s and up ?) take the standard DIN mounting. Therefore, any head unit that conforms to this specification (probably any newer unit) will install with ease. Crutchfield, and probably others, will sell adaptor wiring harnesses as well. Couldn't be any easier; 4 screws and two plugs . . . Now the speakers . . . that's _another_ story :-P

ByeBye! S.

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out where I saw a comment regarding that when installing sterio/cd players that the unit installs, but there is a problem with the faceplate area overlapping or not fitting with the outer plastic area of the dashboard...?

Or did I just totally imagine that??

Reply to
Bradley Walker