replacing/fixing ignition switch on 95 subaru legacy

Threaded View

The ignition switch on my 1995 Subaru Legacy looks like it is
(finally) failing, after 180,000 miles on the vehicle. The lock sticks
and it takes quite a bit of working the key around to finally get it
to turn to start the car.

The car just got back from the shop (air conditioner fix) so I don't
want to bring it back in again so soon--if possible, I'd like to
replace this myself. I found a replacement part on Ebay (http://
tinyurl.com/3aqu32) and I'm wondering

(1) if I need to buy the whole assembly as shown in the Ebay photo or
do I just need a lock "column" of some sort;

(2) how difficult it would be for me to do this myself. I'm handy with
tools. But do I need to go through the airbag? If so, sounds like it
might potentially be dangerous.

Thanks for any info.

Re: replacing/fixing ignition switch on 95 subaru legacy

  DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and WAIT 10 MINUTES. You probably have to pull
the steering wheel, I did on my 81, and I suspect the same is true of my
95

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Site Timeline