Return of the Samurai!

Kinda fun to dream about but seems unlikely - though?.....

FHI presently builds the wings for the Boeing 777 (IIRC) so the aviation connection is not just history.

GM may have committed 'seppuku' by giving the union all those medical benefits in past negotiations - and I doubt Ford is as afraid of Subaru as they would be of -say- Toyota for instance. I dunno

Carl

1 Lucky Texan (btw; I think the front of my '06 WRX LOOKS like a stylized japanese warrior!)
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Subaru has claimed the new front grill is suppose to represent Fuji's long time aviation history- producer of the Japanese fighter planes, kamikaze and torpedo bombers during WW2 (original producer name was Nakajima company, which together with 5 other firms merged to form Fuji Heavy Industries).

Anyone know whether Subaru's working names for their new models B-5, B-9, etc. is also suppose to symbolize Fuji's aviation heritage? A sort of in-your-stupid-Yankee-face act of emulating the American bomber series of B-1, B-2, B-52, and the infamous B-29 that dropped the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs?

Is this a modern Samurai "die by your own sword" reply to the American manufacturers such Ford, GM, lying in ther deathbeds, or just a coincidence? From B-9, I think there is a B-12 in the pipeline, to the B-29 ultimate revenge seems a long way, Ford and GM are already half dead.

MN

Reply to
MN

Why'd you have to post this? I won't buy Mitsubishi products due tp producing the Zero and other planes that sunk the Arizona and put 1000 of our boys on the bottom. Now Subaru has a bloodstained past too!!! At least Isuzu only built vehicles such as trucks. Now I guess I wont buy another subaru .

Reply to
bigjim

It was a war. Get over it.

The Japanese actually pulled off a stunning military defeat of the U.S. at Pearl Harbor. The fact that thousands of Americans died is just one of the statistics of war.

(That it was a "sneak attack" is irrelevant for the issue here, as surely neither Mitsubishi nor Fuji (in the earlier form) nor any other producer could have "known" that Tojo would order the attack the way he did.)

I remember when "MGA" was the new leading producer of big-screen t.v.s in the U.S., displacing Sony. (This was in the 1980s...some of you may remember this.) I used to get a kick out of telling my friends that that this great MGA actually stood for "Mitsubishi Group of America." Now Mitsubishi labels its sets with the Mitsubishi name (except leadership has passed to Samsung, Lucky Goldstar, etc.).

I think Fuji's heritage means that it's a credible supplier. Sort of like the Japanese buying something from a company that helped make the atom bomb. ("Aiii! Generar Erectric...we not buy from them!")

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

at Pearl Harbor. The fact that thousands of Americans died is just one of the statistics of war.

Reply to
bigjim

If it's a well-known Japanese constellation, it must be visible to us as well, as we are in the same (Northern) hemisphere.

And it is. The Pleiades. The Seven Sisters.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

American *citizens* who happened to be Japanese were imprisoned in concentration camps and you call it payback?

This statement is *monstrous*. Japan was crumbling at the end of the war, and we dropped super weapons to get them to surrender quicker?

Some say we used the A-Bombs on the japanese to get test data on the effects of radiation for humans and fetuses.

So you say.

I call "Bullshit!" on this, and request that you provide a peer-reviewed citation indicating that FDR *KNEW* of the attack and let it occur.

If this so called "fact" had come out in 1942, FDR would have been impeached.

beebs anarchist

Reply to
beebs

I just sold my Dodge Avenger and replaced it with an '06 WRX wagon. OBTW

- my Avenger had a Mitsubishi engine.

If you read the history of FHI, it bears little resemblance to Nakajima. IIRC, the Americans broke it up into 17 different companies, over the years many of those dissolved, then the remaining 5 merged into one - that is why they use those stars for a logo, its a well known Japanese constellation whose name also means 'united'.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Japanese were imprisoned in concentration camps and you call it payback?

Reply to
bigjim

Korean companies, no less...get over it! :-)))

Reply to
CompUser

..but apparently NOT visible in Texas.

;-)

Reply to
CompUser

Where they selling the Mitsubishi TV's with working names such as 'Zero,' or 'One' 'Two' etc?

Would a B-52 TV model designation, or B-29 Big Screen be more pleasing to you than a meaningless numeric designation such as M5011s or whatever?

I am just wondering if there is a market in the US that would like to buy such names. Maybe these are the people Subaru is trying to reach using their B-1, B-2, or B-5, B-9 aviation bomber type designations?

MN

Reply to
MN

Hi,

I've got an idea: why don't you refuse to buy from EVERYONE who has ever committed an offense against the US if you're so patriotic and concerned with the loss of American lives? With luck, perhaps you'll still be able to eat...

That war was over 60 years ago. No amount of breast-beating today will undo history, but if we don't go around with our heads up our arses, we can learn from it. We face far greater dangers from emerging threats (can you say "China's building up its military with no apparent threat on the horizon?" or "9-11?") than from a former enemy vanquished over half a century ago who's been a loyal ally since.

Perhaps you've got a reason to grind your axe, but I don't see it. Methinks it's time to move on.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hi,

I think my favorite vanity plate of all time was the one I saw on a red Mitsubishi 3000 GT when they first came out. I always thought those cars were a "working man's midlife crisis machine" and the driver WAS a bit of a greybeard. License plate said "1FSTZRO."

You'd be surprised how many people give me a blank look when I tell about that one.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

undo history>We face far greater dangers from emerging threats (can you say "China's building up its military with no apparent threat on the horizon?"

Reply to
bigjim

You are so full of drollery.

Yes, the pleiades and the subaru constellations are hte same group of stars - just don't see what 'pleiades' has to do with my post on the history of FHI. So I never considered mentioning it. Don't confuse my not posting on a subject with any ignorance on my part. Oh - I'm plenty ignorant alright - just don't want you to be confused. lol!

btw - FHI produced the Rabbit for folks to drive around long before VW - it was a scooter!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

some fun history;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Do you drool all over your keyboard when you type this stuff? Or do your caretakers put a bib on you first?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Can't we get back to the Republican vs Democrat debate? It's much more relevant. :^) -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

Do they call it the six sisters? I see six stars in the logo.

Reply to
Tom Reingold