Ring Gear or Starter Motor ?

Just got for the second time in a few weeks a terrible grinding noise when I go to start my 2000 Impreza RS. The noise just dissapears after the 2nd try and then the car starts normally.

The car has 68000 and it is a manual transmission. The first thing (and cheapest) I will do is change the starter motor, but I suspect it might be the ring gear on the flywheel. When changing the starter, I will inspect the flywheel gear

Is the ring gear on the Impreza known to have issues?

Reply to
pmth95

Edward Hayes

good idea on the bolts. Maybe the solenoid contacts are getting worn? Double check all the cables and their terminals and clean the battery posts too.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan