Rocky mountains & 4 cyl?

Going on cross country trip next week from Vegas to Wisconsin via I-70 & Denver. I have a 97 Outback, 4 cyl, 5 speed. The last time I made this journey it was from East to West and in a 5-speed, fuel injected, 84 Saab and it struggled up those inclines. Anyone have experience with 4 cyl Subarus, driving through the Rockies? I'm not pulling a trailer but the car will be loaded with household boxes and the dog!

Thanks,

Reply to
Joe J

I have a 2000 Forester, and used to have a '92 Loyale. I don't know about '97, but the 2000 has vastly improved performance over the '92. I wouldn't worry about the mountains with this one. They really *have* improved the pick up. With an automatic my '92 Loyale made me think I had to help push. The 2000 Forester(also automatic) is totally different, so your '97 Outback should be vastly improved over your '84 Saab experience.

Reply to
Tim Conway

I've had my '99 Forry (2.5l SOHC) all over Colorado; been over the Glenwood Springs. - Denver stretch of I70 a bunch. You'll probably find 4th gear useful on the approach to the Eisenhower tunnel, and maybe just before the top of Vail Pass, but other than that I can't imagine you'll need to gear down as a result of hills. Some parts of I70 in the Glenwood Canyon are pretty twisty, and you might find better throttle response in 4th. I70 can be a disaster between the I40/I70 intersection (just W. of Idaho Springs) and Denver in the evening, particularly on weekends, or in bad weather. Avoid these time blocks if at all possible. Hwy6 east from Idaho Springs is a pleasant alternative to sitting in traffic on the interstate, and drops you out in very nearly the same spot. Also remember that significant snowfall is still a very real possibility in the mountains thru April, sometimes even into May. For a somewhat longer, but far more scenic/less hectic trip thru Colorado, check out Hwy50. Avoid the issue all together on I-80, but take along some no-doze ;-) Have fun. ByeBye! S.

Thank you for the reply.

Joe

Reply to
Joe J

ROFL! We do indeed. Over Christmas we drove a 1999 Subaru Forester S,

4 cyl, automatic transmission, over that exact route twice, with enough luggage for a cruise and bunch of Christmas presents. The weather was horrendous (snow, ice, etc.) one way, but we had no problem at all with the engine lacking enough power. My mother also lives in Colorado and drives an Outback just a year younger than yours. She goes over I-70 and Loveland pass a few times a year at least.

Unless your Outback engine has problems, you'll be just fine. :-)

Reply to
Catherine Jefferson

My badly underpowered 1988 Subaru GL 4x4 wagon, 5 speed went all over Colorado in its day, and went across the continent two times. I don't think I ever had it above 11,000 ft (US 212 NE of Yellowstone) but it did fine, although it took its time.

My 1997 Outback, 5 speed. went across the continent four times. It climbed quite high in Colorado on two trips. On one of them, loaded with many hundreds of pounds of gear and two passengers, it went along the old road north of the main road in Rocky Mountain National Park, went up Mt. Evans (over 14,000 ft), and dealt with Berthoud and Loveland Passes with ease. (We avoided the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 -- what can you see inside there?).

My 2007 Outback, 5 speed, hasn't been east of Alberta yet -- maybe this summer. It makes the peppy 1997 Outback look like a wimp.

The 1988 had 411,000 km on it when its fourth owner, the first one not related to me, crashed it into a tree. The 1997, now owned by my daughter and son-in-law, is going strong at about 350,000 km so those trips didn't hurt it. The 2007 is a baby with only about 38,000 mi on it (mi, not km -- bought in Seattle) but my other daughter will get it when I get around to replacing it at around 200,000 mi.

Don't be afraid of using lower gears. They're there for a reason. And enjoy your trip.

David

Reply to
David Ryeburn

Thanks for the reassurance!

Reply to
Joe J

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe J

I have a 2000 OBW, 2.5L 4 cyl 5MT myself. The only time I found a lack of power was when my clutch was worn down. That's been since replaced, and so it's not a problem anymore. Just make sure all check-engine light problems have been taken care of, and happy motoring. The 2.5L engine is supposed to have anywhere between 165-175 HP depending on model year. Even with normal engine aging, that rating might have gone down by maybe

20%, so you still have 135-140 HP on tap, that's more than most V6's of the 80's.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan