Roof rack for '98 Impreza Wagon

This should be a simple question to answer. I want to install a roof rack on a '98 Impreza Wagon. I don't want to drill any holes in the roof. It appears that there should be mounting points under the plastic strips filling the rain grooves. I called a Subaru dealer and asked them if there was a roof rack avaiable from Subaru but they never called me back.

Can anyone point me toward a genuine Subaru rack, or an aftermarket rack that mounts to the roof? I don't want anything with straps that go inside the windows or a solution that requires drilling holes in the roof.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Hmmmm... this might be good to post over at

as those guys are sometimes stripping the OEM racks off. Seems weird your car doesn't have them. Anyway, I think 'towers' are made by Yakima/Thule,etc. to fit the OEM rails. Then get the appropriate cross bars and accessories.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I called another Subaru dealership and they claimed that there was no factory rack for the '98 Impreza Wagon, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary in nearby parking lots...

My wife was searching ebay and found this:

"You are bidding on a BRAND NEW FACTORY roof rack for Subaru Impreza wagon. It is in perfect shape and can be used for 1995 or later model. Subaru Impreza wagons.

Part number is E3610FS000"

Great deal, unfortunately we are leaving on our trip tomorrow and had to pay full price at the dealership who suddenly remembered that the rack does exist when confronted with the part number.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Go figure. Did you decide on a box to go on them?

Reply to
Cam Penner

At this point it looks like a soft sided cargo bag thingy. It will rest between the rails, sitting on the slats.

Reply to
Mark Olson