Rotten Egg gas smell in Liberty/Legacy Wagon

Hi

Had my new MY05 Libery wagon for few weeks now. Done about 1000Km's. Still in the breaking in period, so not pushing it hard. Im smelling some kind of rotten egg gas smell in the cabin. Not too sure where this smell is coming from. Will talk to the dealers about it, but was wondering if anyone experienced this with a new car?

thanks

Kory

Reply to
KORy

Used to get this smell w/ early versions of catalytic converters. Could be that.

Reply to
lkreh

There's a coating of some kind on the exhaust pipes and/or cat converter that needs to burn off. It took 2 - 3 months for the smell to go away on my '02 OBS w/2.5L, but only a week or so on my '03 WRX. Steve.

Reply to
Spudster

The external coating is cosmolene and produces a burning smell not rotten eggs. A rotten egg smell is from the exhaust and is due to excessive hydrogen sulfide being produced in the catalytic converter. This is usually caused by a too-rich mixture but can also be from fuel with a high sulfur content. Sometimes changing brands of fuel can reduce the problem. Since you have a new 05, you should take it to your dealer with this concern.

Reply to
mulder

I have the same think in my new Outback . It smells more like burnt Premium unleaded and usually occurs if I get a little heavy with the foot. However, as you say you are taking it easy maybe it is not the same. Rotten egg gas is also known as hydrogen sulphide which is fatal in not so big concentrations so might be best to have it checked out sooner than later.

Think you will find though that it is a burnt fuel smell after all the environmental filters are through with it.

good luck

Reply to
Phil

Thanks for your feedback guys! I had a look at subaru website for the heck of it, and found this in the FAQ.

"My vehicle is emitting a rotten egg gas (sulphurous) smell, why?

This may be detected when your vehicle is stationary. If your vehicle is moving in traffic then it is likely the smell is coming from a vehicle in front of you. You may want to switch the air-conditioning system to recirculate to reduce the smell. In either case the smell is created by high sulphur content in the unleaded fuel reacting with the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. If the smell is from your exhaust you may wish to try another brand of etrol for comparison. If the smell remains please bring this to the attention of your Subaru dealer preferably while the odour is evident. "

Hmm... maybe be a common problem!!

Kory

Reply to
KORy

Try another brand of petrol. Sounds like whoever you're buying it from is selling you high sulfur fuel. Also stay away from Mobil. I've experienced poor performance and the egg-odor with all grades of Mobil brand name fuel. Aamoco and Citgo have been OK. So has Shell.

Reply to
Robert J

Hi

What im finding weird is that, i have closed the air inlet, yet the smell seems to just appear. Im not sure if its slowly building up... cos the smell just suddenly strikes... usually smells worst in the backseat. Also, it doesn't always happen. I will try to experiment few things... wanna find out where this smell is coming from.

Kory

Reply to
KORy

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi

Im hoping its the coating. Ive only done 1400Km's now, and the smell is still apparent. I might change petrol brand to see if it makes any diff.

thanks

kory

Reply to
KORy