Rough AT transmission shifting (Outback 2002 AT 2.5L H4)

What can cause rough AT transmission shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear when engine is cold/warm (not hot)(say 5 to 10 min. into driving)?

I have 2002 AT Outback 2.5L H4. Odometer is currently at ~ 74K km (~46K miles) and I had flushed transmission oil at 71K km (for the second time, first one was at 48K km)).

I drive around 90 km daily (60km city, 30km hwy).

I've also noticed that when I start engine and shift in reverse car kind of jumps backwards. But if I shift in drive all is good. I do not feel that 'jump'.

I know that ECU is designed to keep transmission in low gear(s) until engine/transmission is warmer but this is getting worse (I think).

My idea is that there is not enough AT oil in the transmission because once engine is hot (at operational temp.) everything is smooth. So I thought this is happening only until AT oil warms up and expands therefore reaches certain level that is ok for its operation. However, I tried checking oil level and it looks ok. Damn dip-stick it black and bends at one point so it is really hard to tell if the level is ok.

All ideas are appreciated. :-)

Cheers, Voja Burnaby, BC, Canada

Reply to
Voja

Fluid level would be my first thought. Know what you mean about that dipstick. Try inserting it gently to where it binds then rotate it gently to clear the rest of the way. I assume you're checking with the engine running? Cheers

Reply to
hippo

I am having some similar problems, check out:

and search for "engaging D in auto trannytakes a long time "

Reply to
Redphan

I had the same problem with my '98 Pontiac Sunfire a few years back. My problem started after some dealer service, so I decided to take a look at the tranny fluid level thinking it was lower. However, when I opened the high level plug, I drained over a quart of fluid out!!! I put the plug back it, went for a test drive and everything was fine. Be very glad that Subaru's have a much better designed transmission that has a dip stick and drain plugs so you'll never have to drop a pan to change fluid or a filter.

Brian '04 OBW

Reply to
Brian K. M.

Thanks for the ideas.