RS2.5 that 'Smokes on Start-Up'

May look at an otherwise very clean '99 Impreza RS2.5. I understand all of the issues with the head gaskets. The ad states that the car smokes upon start-up but then stops, and that it may need valve seals. Is this a reasonable cause for smoking? No indication of the color of the smoke.

Thx,

Dan D (formerly) '99 Legacy L 30th (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Valve seals/Valve Guides.... NOT a good indication, usually indicates a VERY tired top end. You could be burning oil a lot more, but the Catalytic Converter burns it off (might be hard to pass smog).it smokes because the converter is not up to temp.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

I have an '89 Supra, an '89 Mazda 626, and an '85 Corolla GTS that all do the same thing.

Prbably needs valve guide seals. Or, do what I did...

Get some Castrol GTX for High Mileage Engines. After one oil change the tell-tale 'start-up puff' went away. If I let the Supra or the Corolla sit for more than one day the amount of blue smoke went up exponentially. The Corolla is now off the raod, but I can let the Supra sit for DAYS and there's no puff when I start the engine (actually, after three days of sitting, the Supra would smoke for about 3-5 minutes! Now, nothing!)

Reply to
Hachiroku