Rusting roof rack for Subaru Legacy

I have 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon with a rusting problem in the roof rack where it connects to the the roof. There is rusting around the screw holes where the roof rack rails connect to the roof, and one end of the roof rack is loose. Since there is no longer a seal, additional moisture is certainly seeping in.

There is rust on all four rack support areas, so I do not intend to secure anything to the roof any longer. Since the roof rack is not serving any purpose, should I take it off and seal the holes with some rubber sealant? Or, Should I leave the rack on the car, seal with silicon, and try to find some internally expanding screws to try to refasten the rack to the roof?

Any suggestions appreciated.

WTM

Reply to
W. Thornton Martin

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:00:26 -0400, against all advice, something compelled "W. Thornton Martin" , to say:

Yes. Unless you want to take it to a body shop and have it fixed properly. Not sure if that is warranted on a twelve year old car.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

yeah, a body shop or maybe a 'sunroof installation' place could give you some good ideas on how to proceed.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I'd have to look at mine, but on other cars with roof racks the screws go from outside the car to inside to a fixture that holds it in place under the headliner.

You can remove the roof rack and then tape over it, or Bondo over it and spray to match with Dupli-Color.

Or get some not-too-spongy rubber and make a new gasket, and seal it with RTV on the bottom side to keep water out. Hopefully the rust is not too far progressed.

Reply to
Hachiroku