Setting your tire pressures affects your transmission shifting

I have a 2000 OBW with 5MT. Ever since I've had this car, I've never really had a consistent smooth shift from it. I've owned it for 8 years and shifting has remained jerky since the beginning. It's not a matter of how smoothly you can operate the clutch, I've tried various different clutch release and engagement speeds and I still often get a jerk when going into gear. It's especially noticeable in the lower gears, when going from a dead stop into first, from first into second.

I just got used to it over the years until recently I played with the tire pressures a little. I put 34 psi in the fronts, and 32 psi in the rears. I did this for other reasons, but I was surprised to find that the shifting had smoothed out completely! The car wouldn't jerk around no matter how sloppily I used the clutch! This worked for about 2-3 weeks, until I started to notice the car was jerking again from time to time. I checked the tire pressures, and sure enough the air pressures had gone down in all of them by different amounts. So I filled them up again to their previous settings, and shifting was again smooth.

I put in more in the front than the rear because the engine puts more weight on the fronts.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Thanks Yousuf, i was scratching my head asking myself why 32psi was speced by FHI for front and

28 for the rear of the 93 legacy. You might have just found the answer.

I wonder how the reduction in displacement and increase in weight of the bare bones impreza affected the shifting. Any reviews with the relevant reference anyone run into?

Reply to
AD

I don't know if this will work for the automatic tranny, because the AWD systems are totally different between the manual and auto Subies of the same model. The manual Subies have a full-time AWD with a limited-slip diff in the center and in the rear. The auto Subies have an on-demand AWD.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Hey, are you a Dell factory rep?!?!

Damn! A+ rating for the last QTR! Good job!

Reply to
Hachiroku

OT Hmm, I remember last time I talked to dell they begged me not to return vostro even though I have explained that no amount of discounting would fix the crap buttons on the trackpad. They finally agreed for a refund.

My issue with dell is not service though, servers (rackmounted and tower based) are just fine but all laptops including the business line leave something (a lot in fact) to be desired.

This is so unlike subaru that does not have crap in the US lineup. JDM cars are another story I'm sure. It seems that japs export mostl;y the middle of the gaussian curve: total 2 cylinder crap and exra fancy models remain domestic. Just look at the evo IX wagon for example.

Reply to
AD

No comment... ;)

Yeah, I would love to have a Kei from anybody, but we can't get them. Would serve my needs quite well.

That's why Toyota and Nissan and Honda came up with Lexus, Infiniti and Acura, so they could sell the domestic models at prices to justify importing them.

Reply to
hachiroku

I've often felt FHI should split their brands/products like Honda,Nissan and Toyota did.. Put the Tribeca, the Outback, an 'upscaled' Forester(maybe) and the Legacy sedan under the brand 'Legacy', put the WRXes, the OBS and Forester under the 'Subaru' or Impreza brand - then bring over a coupla Kei cars or similar small/ affordable compacts - maybe one electric or hybrid - and sell under the brand 'Fuji' or something(kinda like Toyota did with Scion).

(however, I think I read FHI is gonna stop making Kei in Japan so.....)

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

No, why do I look like one?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Pretty high actually, somewhat common name in some parts of the world. I'm not saying it's anything approaching the John Smith or the Mohammad levels, but it's fairly common.

List of most popular given names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

One of the techs in the "South" area is Yousuf Khan.

What are the odds?

Reply to
hachiroku

Yeah, they are. There are a few around here, not legal for over the road use but a couple of the colleges use them for on-campus vehicles. I think they're Suzukis. Cushman sells them under the Cushman brand name but you can get them from dealers, just can't license them.

There are some older modles that are "grandfathered" in because they were imported and registered before any laws were passed. You can register the old 360 van because when they were new they were titled and registered. Would love to get one of those.

I'd also like to get a Divco and "toyotaize" it! ;)

Be a great marketing tool for my cover band...

Reply to
hachiroku

Interesting.

What's more interesting is that Bruce and Sheila don't even show up for Australia...

But Matilda does! ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

It would be a hard sell in the US considering how good Fit (Jazz) is. Now as ever with better sound insulation to put some distance between the driver and the buzzy 1.5 I4.

As far as A class goes you now get fiat 500 from the italians: again, japs will be hard pressed to sell bare bones kei against premium A class. And then there is the little wonder called MX-5 that's been around for like forever. but I'm too claustrophobic for anything smaller than jazz or mazda 2.

Do be glad you do not get daewoo matiz in the states :-]

Reply to
AD

I never equated the Fit with the Jazz. OK.

The Fiat is a cool looking car, just like the one from the 50's/60's. The Mazda 2 is also a good little car, as is that new Hyundai they should be coming out with any second now. THAT is cool!

I also like the Honda hatch with the gas engine with electric assist. However, it;s gone from $17,900 to $23,000 here!!!

Reply to
hachiroku