Shaking at certain speeds

Hey all, hoping one of you guys can help me on this:

95 LS wagon 2.2L auto w/ 167K shakes at about 35mph and then between 60 and 75mph. Rides smooth at all other speeds. I had the tires rotated and balanced with no help. Wound up buying a new set of tires (needed them anyway) but the problem is still there. Alignment came with the new set of tires, still have the problem The shaking seems to occur on acceleration or when there is a load on the drivetrain. I can coast at these speeds and still feel the shake but not as much. I've put in the fuse for FWD to see if this alieviates the problem but it didn't. The gear or RPM does not seem to affect this, strictly certain speeds. Front rotors do not appear to be warped as there isn't any pulsating on the brake pedal or steering wheel. I'm thinking wheels, anyone else?
Reply to
John

Edward Hayes

If it is speed dependent regardless of gear, you might check the drive shaft. I had a similar problem a few years ago with a Dodge.

Don D

Don

yep, I was thinking frozen U-joint or blown strut.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was looking at them yesterday. Seems the RR strut is leaking and the RF might be also be. I think I'll try to replace all four and see where we go. They are all original so I can't complain at all for 167K.

Reply to
John

If you have an indie mech you trust, shop for some after market struts and have hin install them. You might save a bundle over the dealership. Besides, I think KYB makes struts for Subaru anyway.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote

AutoZone wants $145ea for the front and $135ea for the rear (strut only).

1st Subaruparts has them online for $84 and $75ea. plus shipping. I had heard the Bilstein (or another maker) was doing a buy 3-get 1 free deal. I'll have to look around. I'll try to do the job if I can find a reasonable price on the whole assy with coils, otherwise i dont think I have the time to change the coils over and I'll pay my mech to do it. Kills me to do but......
Reply to
John

Struts are not sold as complete assemblies with the springs. The strut and spring are separate parts. The only way you'll find them complete is to buy used ones and you probably don't want to do that.

Reply to
mulder

Very true unless you want coilovers or some other kinda suspension upgrade. Boxer4racing even swaps out your 'cores' for Koni installed struts. They'd probably put Eibach or other springs on 'em too if you wanted. But for 'stock-like' replacements, KYB and moving your springs over would be just fine.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote

I think I eliminated the u-joint by driving in FWD only, didn't I? Does the fuse disable the transaxle to the driveshaft operation or only the rear differential?

Also, looking thru USMB.net, seems many (some here?) think this could be caused by a bad inner CV joint or DOJ. How do you check if the inner CV is bad? When I grab onto either halfshaft they both have the samslight bit of movement but again only slight. Neither one is worse than the other and both have been replaced within the past 3 years, one a year after the other.

Reply to
John