Siping Tires

Found this article... anyone have any experience or advice with siping tires? Any bad side-effects?

Peter Berkey

Personally I would not subject my tires to change from manufacturers specs. At minimum it could void the warranty. I'd buy the tires I need and forget about this. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

"If We Can't Guarantee It, We Won't Sell It!"® (cut & paste from LSC website)

This is a phrase the Les Schwab Company has lived by for many years.... they are the ones who sold me these tires and they are the ones who sold me on siping the tires. I'm sure that if there were any problem at all, they would certainly guarantee what they sold me. I've heard no complaints about siping tires nor that siping voids any warranty.

--Pete

Reply to
Peter Berkey

Michelin Arctic Alpins are already siped by the manufacturer.

June

"If We Can't Guarantee It, We Won't Sell It!"=AE (cut & paste from LSC website)

This is a phrase the Les Schwab Company has lived by for many years.... = they are the ones who sold me these tires and they are the ones who sold me = on siping the tires. I'm sure that if there were any problem at all, they would certainly guarantee what they sold me. I've heard no complaints about siping tires nor that siping voids any warranty.

--Pete

Reply to
Diva

Here's a little pic of the process (via Google).

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

Any decent snow tire will come siped from the manufacturer. If snow performance is important, I'd advise getting snow tires. I would always advise against siping all-season tires for use in the winter.

Some might think they're going to save money, but I don't believe they will: By siping all-season tires you dramatically reduce the tread life of the tire. If this tire is then used year-round, it will need to be replaced much sooner, increasing long-term cost. If it is only used in the winter time, then you really haven't saved much money over buying dedicated snow tires.

I'm don't think that siping all-season tires is necessarily dangerous in any way; I'm just not convinced that there's a practical reason to do it.

- Greg

--

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Formal Limousine (for sale:
Audi 200 Turbo Quattro sedan 5-speed2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue2001 Chevy Astro AWD (wife's)2004 Forester 2.5XT 5-speed (coming soon!)

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
Greg Reed

I've seen discussions where it could void warranty. It may aid traction but I find it hard to believe that it would extend tire life and think it may do the opposite. Prices I've seen - ~$10/tire/year - would tend me to believe you would be better off to put this investment into original tires. One discussion group also said that need for siping was greater in the past when tires were not designed as well as they are today. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

If it does, I will go after the dealer who sold it to me.

I absolutely agree that it seems far too good to be true... however everything I've read about siping says otherwise. It does make some sense that these slits help to keep the tire cooler, therefore less tread wear. I can't find anything that says otherwise.

$11.50 each tire and no need to perform the siping every year, siping is good for the life of the tire from what they told me. Makes it unnecessary to switch out tires every year, so saves $$$.

These Toyo ultra 800's I purchased last year had no siping. I'm guessing that siping is not done on many of the tires today because not everyone needs it... not everyone drives in icy conditions. I'm also guessing that siping would add to the cost of manufacturing a tire, so it probably makes marketing sense to just sell tires cheaper without the siping.

All I really know for sure is that my OBW seems to be responding much better now in slippery conditions. Hope it stays this way for the life of the tires.

--Pete

Reply to
Peter Berkey

I'm just speculating of course but heat problem in radial tires is in side wall due to constant flexing. Tread wear in tires is most rapid in the beginning because of low modulus rubber's friction on the road. Seems to me the slits would make the tread even more squirmy leading to higher wear. The tire folks used to screw you on the warranty by measuring treadwear as if it were linear and prorating refund on this basis. My Googling gave lots of discussion on siping but none by the actual tire companies so it is hard to make real judgements. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo