ski rack for WRX

Could someone recommend a ski rack for a 2002 WRX wagon?

Is the one sold by subaru decent? Which part(s) do I need to order exactly? I don't have any roof rack accessories added since I bought the car.

There was an older post that says ski rack decreases top speed by 20mph. I wonder if it's better to get a ski rack enclosure (fully enclosed box to hold the ski)?

Reply to
peter

You're worried that your top speed might be reduced to 120mph?

Reply to
Ian Brown

Hey Peter,

I think I was the guy who posted the info about the ski rack cutting off

20mph off the top end-- it is true. The car will not do over 125 with the Subaru factory ski rack mounted on top. Anyhow-- the Subaru rack is made by Yakima and the rack is same as the Yakima you would buy in the store. Except, the after market does not come with the plastic clamps that attach to the Subaru factory cross bars. I am not sure if you can buy just the clamps for the Subaru bars, but you can buy the clamps to use the Subaru ski rack on the Yakima bars.

Subaru does use the same SKS key system as does the after market Yakima stuff so you can mix the stuff and still key it the same.

My only complaint with the Subaru ski rack on the Subaru cross bars is that at very high speeds the bars flex and my bindings rubbed the roof. However using the Yakima crossbars it is not an issue. I have the low rider mounts (they clamp the Yakima bars right to the Subaru rails.) with 54" round bars-- it allows me to use 4 mounts or 2 bikes and the ski rack. Or strip the bars down and you can carry 4x8 sheets of wood on the roof.

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

Go to any decent Bicycle Shop in your area or Ski shop and they should be able to help you out. They will most likely cary Yakima or Thule and both are outstanding products. For info you can try the two links below. Both sights will have features that will allow you to enter your car's information and determine what yo need to accomplish your racking goals:

I use Thule cross-bars for bikes and my canoe but for the winter I attach my ski rack to the factory cross-bars for a cleaner look.

Reply to
Steve in Minnesota