slip - thud when accelerating subaru outback

I have a 2002 Subaru Outback H3.0 with VDC automatic

When I start to accelerate, sometimes it feels like the rear is slipping and then a couple of thuds. Somewhat like if I had a manual transmission and allow the clutch to slip then released the clutch quickly. Any ideas?

Robert

Reply to
R Ducharme

I think it's the rear multi-plate clutch that engages during acceleration. just a guess since for auto tranny, the awd system adoptes the *clutch* thing. ">

Reply to
grape

The final answer is: The drive shaft had one of the U-joints frozen in one direction. Once that was replaced, all is well.

Robert

Reply to
R Ducharme