Slipping Transmission on a Liberty 1992GX

Hi, I seem to have had a problem where by i drove about 20 km's and then went to pull away from a set of traffic lights and the car accelerated and become somewhat stuck in 1st gear. After i took my foot off the accelerator and re applied it it was staying in 1st gear and (really sending the revs up as i gained speed)

I then stopped the car and took off again this time accelerating through 1st and to 2nd fine.. then the transmission then seemed to slip and the the revs go up once again with loss of power as a result.. i then pulled over and stopped the car completely for around

5 minutes and then started it up again and was able to limp my way with the transmission continually slipping in whatever gear it was in at the time.

when i pulled out the dipstick for the transmission fluid everything was normal (levels seemed normal) but there seemed to be a ever so slight burnt smell to the fluid.

What would the problem be? I suspect the transmission is gone but I'm opening up the discussion to the experts here in this group.

Its a Subaru Liberty 1992 GX model with a 4 speed automatic transmission its done over 120,000 KMs.

Reply to
Parnet

after cooling the transmission fluids were lower than expected.. this was the problem and the solution was to top up the fluid.

Reply to
JoeJoeInc

Really really should have the transmission flushed now that it has burnt ATF. This stuff is bad and you can expect more problems down the road if you decide to leave it in there.

Reply to
johninKY