Snow Chains for Legacy Outback

I know that this has been asked several times in the past and that I will probably never really need to fit snow chains but I am thinking about buying a 2005 UK spec Outback. These come with 17 inch 215/55 wheels and I want to use it for skiing trips to France where the police often make you fit chains whether you need them or not (If you don't, it means a fine and a no go to the resort). I can't get an answer to my question from offical sources in the UK but does anyone know if I can fit chains to these (big) wheels and which wheels they go on (do I need four)?

Thanks

Joe

Reply to
Joe Roach

Not sure if this is available in the UK ( *

*)* *but you may be able to fit it on your tires/wheel well. Here is the full link so you don't get confused with Tiny URL (or it may be warped):

Also, here is the link with .pdf file that gives more details re. tire fitting:

From the car manual for my Outback 2002 I know I cannot fit tire chains.

Good luck, Voja

Joe Roach wrote:

Reply to
Voja

I have 2005 Outback and would reckon that the spec in Ireland is the same as the UK. The manual says chains can be fitted and to the front wheels only. Only 3k miles on the car so far and no regrets - great car.

Cheers John

Reply to
JH

Thanks everybody for the information. It looks like I'll be getting an Outback (and some, hopefully never to be used chains!).

Joe.

Reply to
Joe Roach

I live out here in California where sometimes they make all cars (even

4WD/AWD) put chains on. I emailed Subura about my 2005 OBW and they told me they don't offically support the use of traction devices but unoffically they recommend Shur Grip Z cables
I did put them on once in my garage just for fit and them seems fairly tight. However I'm in no rush to find out how they work in the snow unless I *really* have to.

DS

Joe Roach wrote:

Reply to
Dean Sniegowski

California's rules are antiquated. They consider a "snow tread tire" to be any M+S marked tire with 6/32" of tread left. Other states have adopted rules incorporating the new "Severe Snow Service" as part of their tire/chain requirements.

Also, 4WD/AWD isn't a panacea for really bad winter driving conditions. Sure - it's easier to get going, but you're going to need better traction (via chains and/or real winter tires) to help stop and turn.

Reply to
y_p_w

Yuppers, a friend in the WSP figures that people are 10X more likely to end up in the ditch if they are driving an 4WD. Since most people think

4WD means they can drive anywhere and in any conditions.
Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

I did a quick search. Of all the results I got, I'm guessing WSP means "Washington State Patrol". The other big thing if there are chain controls is to have plenty of fuel and slow down.

Reply to
y_p_w