soobie roof bike rack q's

I recently assembled/installed my bike rack purchased at subarugenuineparts.com (way cheaper than my local dealer, plus they took my soobie bux :-)

When I was putting the rack on the car, I was unable to fit the end caps on the trays. Are these end caps necessary, or is it safe to leave them off?

Another question, is it possible to lock the actual racks to the crossbars? I live in NYC, and these weren't too difficult to put on, I figure they aren't too difficult to remove. Anyone with a torx and a hex key can get these guys off, so I was wondering how others handle security for the actual racks themselves.

thanks in advance

Reply to
Al O'Pecia

bigjim