Spare tire on '99 Outback

I would be happier if I had a spare tire that could be left on indefinitely, but the manual says to limit the mileage. If I went to a wrecking yard and bought an extra wheel and tire, would it fit in the tire well? I know I could go out and jack up the car and try it, but I figure that someone else has already done this.

Thanks. (If I end up trying it myself, I'll be happy to post the result.)

Reply to
l.lichtman

The donut barely fits. Why would you think a full size can fit?

Reply to
Alan

Alan wrote: The donut barely fits. Why would you think a full size can fit? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, for your information, it ALMOST does. The full size wheel goes in tight, and will not permit the tool tray to settle properly over it. If I were going into some inaccessible areas, like some of the Death Valley canyons, for example, I think I would do this. Flipping the wheel over would allow a lot of tools to be stored inside it.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Some '99s came with a full size spare as an option...actually the Postals had it as standard, I don't think the body was different to accomodate a different spare. TG

Reply to
TG

....and on some markets, that's exactly what you got! Aus OBs got a full size spare. It mounts face down with a round drop in plastic holder that's big enough to store the towball, jumper leads, cleanup cloths, etc. So yeah, you can do it, but the big holder will no longer fit in. A cut-down bucket probably will though - if you put a hole in the centre to clear the wheel lockdown bolt. Cheers

Reply to
hippo