spark plug change

well, bot coolant, a fuel filter, and 4 sparkplugs yesterday. thanks to advise from nger a few weeks ago, i successfully flushed the system, and added new coolant. i installed the new filter, and contemplated changing the plugs; looked at left bank and decided to remove battery in order to get to the front plug (battery terminals needed a good cleaning anyway); pulled s/plug wire and fiddled around with a wrench, and then chickened out. not your father's kind of a change job. what has been your experiences? what have you paid to have it done?

Reply to
frank

I changed mine on an 02 OB and didn't find it too difficult. I did have to remove the coolant overflow tank and the air intake tubing. After that it was pretty easy with a universal and a couple of extensions. Much easier than some of my old GM V6s where you had to remove the "dogbone" and rock the engine forward to get to the rear bank.

Overall, it took about an hour.

-Kurt

frank wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Four plugs, one hour, not too difficult? Man, you have way more patience than me. I get antzy if four plugs take more than ten minutes. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

I'd read up on doing the WRX plugs (scoobymods.com, nasioc.com), and found it easier than I'd expected...not that difficult after removing the suggested parts, and accepting the fact that *you can't see* the plug, till you've got it out!

Reply to
CompUser

I've never changed the plugs in my GT, 7 years and 200,000km later they still seem to be going pretty well.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

I did it, and with me being not a car guy. I did have a seasoned shadetree mechanic looking over my shoulder, and he handed me the tools but I did the job. Although the plugs appear to be difficult to get to, in reality they are not. The stuff that's in the way is easily removed and he had some unique tools anyway, so in my case I only had to move the washer bottle and about an inch at that. Wires are the easiest ever, since there's no way to mix up the order, at least on the EJ22 and EJ25. One wire is longer than the others on the EJ22 at least, but I forget which one.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

If you didn't purge all the air from the cooling system as part of replacing the coolant, you can expect a problem down the line. Trapped air can lead to local overheating and failure of the headgasket.

On my 00 obw, took less than an hour and all I had to remove to make things easier was the windshield washer tank. recently replaced the plug wires and that took less than 30 mins.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Reply to