square head screw driver?

For the rear transmission oil change of a 2002 WRX, what is the name of the tool needed to unscrew the plugs with the square hole?

Reply to
bob

Hi,

I think the end of a socket extension bar fits nicely (1/2" i think) with my Forester, can be very tight, first time I ended up using a jack under the ratchet handle to move the sucker!

Hope this helps ya

Mark

For the rear transmission oil change of a 2002 WRX, what is the name of the tool needed to unscrew the plugs with the square hole?

Reply to
Illuminated

socket wrench/bar (minus the socket)

If this is an automatic, you do know, right, that just draining the oil isn't sufficient? For automatics, you need to do a flush, not a drain.

You could ask over at the WRX Tuners forum, too, to make sure if it's a square or Torx drive that you need.

VanguardLH

I see 4 different square head attachments in a Ryobi accessory kit I bought. They would fit my drill but also fit a socket screw driver I have. Don't think they intended to make it easy for anyone to remove such a plug.

Reply to
Frank

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I've always heard that at least on high mileage cars, it is better to just do a drain and fill rather than a flush which could loosen particles and cause damage.

Reply to
Tim Conway

I'll say "hogwash". If the trans is going to fail from "loosened particles" it's going to fail anyway. I've been changing and flushing automatics since 1968, and I've done literatally thousands of them. A large percentage have filters in the pan that need to be changed as well - which means removing the sump or pan. Good idea anyway, because that is the only way to see how much of what material is in the bottom of the transmission. You can tell if it is friction material, bushing material, aluminum, or steel - and have a pretty good idea what kind of failure is coming, and how soon. Just removing the pan and draining doesn't get the fluid in the accumulators and servos, OR the torque converter - which is where flushing comes in. A lot of older vehicles had a drain plug in the converter - but that dissappeared decades ago.

Reply to
clare

ok. I see your point. Like so many times in life, I guess I heard wrong. lol.

Reply to
Tim Conway

It's one of those "we want to make sure you know what you are doing" fasteners

Reply to
AD

Yep, that you can buy the tool to unscrew at any good tool shop ... making the whole thing rather pointless. It's the same with the screws in various electronic gadets and gizmos (which is partly why they started hiding screws under things like rubber feet and serial number plates, then they could tell more easily if someone had likely been mucking about with it beofre returning it for "repair"). :-)

Reply to
Your Name