Starter Relay Problem?

Does anyone know if there is a starter relay that could go bad, and prevent the starter from operating on a 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon? I am getting click- click- click, then it sometimes ingages. Thanks,

t.c.

Reply to
JUDDSON1

Clean the contacts inside the starter solenoid or just replace that part and your problem will probably be solved. Don't know if there is a starter relay.The older models didn't use one.

Reply to
johninKY

There _are_ a couple relays in the starter circuit, related to interlocks (clutch depressed? AT in "P" or "N"?, security system alarm?). Don't think a failure here would yield the symptoms you describe, if one of these failed, nothing would happen when you turned the key. The contactor that switches all of the starter current (BIG current) is inside of the starter, and engages when the solenoid is powered (small wire going to starter is +12V)(this also pulls the starter gear into mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel). The "click-click-click" you describe is usually a sign that the starter is not getting enough voltage, due either to a weak battery, or faulty battery cables/connections. I'd look these over real well before jumping on the starter. While it is probably possible to disassemble the starter to clean/burnish the contactor points, you'll probably be time and money ahead to simply replace the starter if you determine that it is indeed bad. FWIW, Subaru starters rarely fail . . .

ByeBye! S.

Steve- Yes, low voltage was my first thought also, checked the alternator (was good), checkd the battery (was bad) replaced battery. Problem went away for awhile, then came back. How big of job to replace stater, looks a little tight to work in?

t.c.

Reply to
JUDDSON1

Not too bad. The upper fastener, a 10mm bolt thru the bell housing (14mm head) is readily accessible, as are the electrical connections. You have to squeeze the solenoid connector to get it to release from the spade lug on the starter, a pair of pliers is sometimes necessary. The hi-current lead connects to a stud with a nut, 12mm IIRC. The bottom fastener (probably a 14mm nut, but may be a 17mm; it's on a stud so no backup wrench is required) is a bit troublesome to access from the top side; you'll probably have to move the AC line, and whatever else is in the way to get your hands in, very tight even so. Quite easy from underneath, tho, use a swivel socket and a long extension. Lift the old starter out and fit the new one. Reconnect. The fasteners don't have to be killer tight, 20-30ftlb probably adequate. Whatever, shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour or so.

ByeBye! S.

I had the same problem on my '99 OWB. I removed the wires from the solenoid, wire brushed them clean (with my Dremel), including the solenoid and put them back on. Problem was solved.

Reply to
rd