Starting on steep hills, especially when slippery

I'm a bit disapointed in the ability of my 2005 Outback 2.5i with MT to start out on a steep hill. I notice that it seems especially hesitant to start if the wheels are on a low traction surface. It almost feels like the car is putting all of its energy into working aginst itself, binding up. Has anybody else noticed this? When I go kayaking I'm often on steep dirt roads. If I lose momentum and stop on a steep incline I can't get the car started again. I can't really explain what I feel, though it gives a sensation like something is binding and the engine is pushing against itself. I've felt that a few times when trying to accelerate from a stop on paved roads as well, but not as bad, though maybe that's just because they're not as steep. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just asking too much of the 4 cyl engine, in which case I'd LOVE to have a low range option!! Any cheap aftermarket ones? :-)

Also... side note... the factory cross bars aren't good for holding kayaks on bumpy roads... mine bent yesterday. :-(

Reply to
Rex Kerr

I don't see how the CROSSBARS can cause leaks... do you mean the fore- aft rails? Those seemed quite strong, and I hope that they are strong enough once I add the aftermarket Thule cross bars!!

I'm starting to think that the newer Outbacks are more show than go... to be truly capable of what they're advertised as they should have low range gearing, stronger roof racks, and a bit more clearance under the front bumper, or at least small skid plates there.

Reply to
Rex Kerr

Don't suppose your hill-holder could have anything to do with the car fighting itself when trying to start on steep inclines? Anybody know if the hill-holder can be disengaged easily for test purposes?

~B

Reply to
strchild

You will find the factory crossbars are not good for ANYTHING. Due to the poor gasketing they DO however leak quite well. You won't discover this until your headliner has rust spots coming thru it.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

The rails leak where they attach to the roof panel.While they don't leak like a faucet, they do leak enough for the roof to rust out. Another FINE build quality.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

I was wondering about that - I thought only the Forester got the HH nowadays?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That's right... the Outback (including mine) does not have a hill holder.

Thanks for the guess though! :-)

Reply to
Rex Kerr