steering noises

I have a '97 Subaru Impreza with 150k miles on it. This spring I noticed loud sqealling noises when I'd first start the car (well the noise would start the first time I turned the wheel. Also, when cold and sqealing the battery light would flash on a few times. I brought it in to Subaru and they checked the belts (at the time I only told them it sqealled when started (not when I would steer). They said the belts looked fine. Now, a few months later I'm noticing that the steering is making weird noises sometimes. I only occurs when doing a slow hard turn (in a parking lot, or pulling out of a road for instance). It sounds kind of like when you turn the wheel all the way over and hit the end (like a whirring/rubbing noise). Also, during this time the wheel kind of vibrates a bit (like the power steering is coming and going). I called Subaru and explained the problem, they say sounds like front differential (big $$$). Going to have it checked tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas at what I'm looking at? Thanks!!

Reply to
Greg R

In addition.... Sorry. I should also mention this noise etc also occurs while the car is not moving (ie I can have it in park and steer back and forth with the same issues).

Reply to
Greg R

Since you didn't mention, have you checked the power steering fluid level yet? The dipstick for the fluid has a mark for hot on one side and cold on the other, so be sure you read the proper side.

Maybe it's just me, but, if you are just sitting still, and you can cause the noise by turning your steering wheel to the left or right, how does the differential enter into the equation? I would hope nobody is trying to cheat you by telling you it is a front differential.

I had a front differential that was dying in my '89 GL turbo wagon (4EAT), to which the Subaru dealer said, "Huh, those things never fail." Well, parently they do! (-; Anyhow, when it started to go, it actually sounded like a very slight, "jet engine whirring" noise coming from behind the firewall, and over the course of about two months, grew louder. The whir was somewhat high pitched, but not as a squeal you might experience from brakes or wheel bearings. The fix for me was a $150 tranny pulled out of the wrecking yard, and a week of work, poking around the engine bay of my car. It would have cost me in the ballpark of $2000+ to have it repaired by a shop, which was more than I paid for the car, so I said, what the heck, I could use the experience (not that I really wanted it)! I don't recall the steering being affected by the differential failing.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

That was my thought/hope (that the fact it also happens when sitting still could indicate it's not a differential). Certainly not going to put 2k into this car. I don't think someone is trying to cheat me (hope not), I think based on my uneducated explanation they gave me a guesstimate sight unseen. Just got back from about a 10-15 minutes drive (5-10 miles?). I checked the power steering fluid level and there's nothing on the stick (it's bone dry). Looking into the resevoir there's a filter looking thing, and some fluid in the bottom (not enough to reach the stick). What color should the fluid be? Mine is like a mustard yellow. So, looks like this is the culprit? Next question..... Why is the fluid so low? I have to say I'm not a fanatic about keeping up with all the recommended maintenance, so I couldn't tell you last time steering fluid was even checked, let alone filled. I've never noticed leaks under the car or anything like that. Thanks for your help thus far!!!

Reply to
Greg R

Mustard yellow?! Well, that sounds really odd to start. Many new cars, and all of the Subarus I've ever owned (5 so far), take ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to use as the power steering fluid, and that is a nice red color.

The yellow colored fluid could be some other sort of power steering fluid put in by mistake, and also may have damaged the seals in your power steering system somewhere, which of course would be a good explanation for the now low level of fluid. I've seen guys at the local "quickie" lube shops make a mess when they perform extra services, including topping up the P/S fluid and I even had an argument with service guy over the type of fluid to use in my XT-6 (in the end I just told him to not touch it, as the warning on the cap was not convincing for him.)

If it were up to me, I would grab any bottle of cheap ATF, top up your power steering reservoir (according to the marks on the dip stick), regardless of the fluid that's already in the system. Once you have it topped up, turn the steering wheel all the way to the end in both directions to help get any air out of the system, and see if your noises stop occurring or at least diminish. Reason I wouldn't worry about the already installed fluid is because I would flush the system anyway to get rid of the yellow fluid. Topping it up will at least help you determine if you need to take the car to a shop. If your steering system has a small leak, it's not the end of the world to just keep an eye on it and keep it topped up, depending on the leak, until you decide what to do for that. Flushing and refilling your power steering system isn't too big a deal if you find that's all it needs, and you wanna give it a shot yourself. (-;

Anybody else know what the yellow colored fluid might be? Generic PS fluid? Stop leak? Discolored water? Grey Poupon (joking, but you did say it was mustard colored)?

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

Okay, refilled the power steering (using Dextron ATF). This helped a LOT!! So far so good. I must be color blind, I dipped a paper towel in the resevior and the fluid was a darking maroon/rust color). Looked orange sitting in the filter. I'll just now have to keep an eye on it.

Reply to
Greg R

If there's noise without moving, it's not the differential.

Reply to
nobody >

You need to look around all of the hoses and see if you find what looks like grease, esp. where the hoses connect. You don't notice small leaks in the steering by looking under the car -- they evaporate to look like grease esp. if you neglect maintainance. You need to check all of your fluids regularly.

If I were you I would suck the fluid you installed back out, replace it with a sealer and top it off with new fluid. If it went dry you might have crap residue you can remove now that it is dissolved.

By the way, have you checked your trans fluid lately?

Pflu

Reply to
Phluge

Just got the car back from a mechanic. They say the rack/pinion is leaking. I was quoted about $600 parts/labor for the work. Now, while I consider if it's worth putting 600 into a car with 155k miles that has a few other minor problems, am I at danger of loosing steering altogether, or just the power steering? Want to see how quickly I have to make a decision.

Reply to
Greg R

My steering rack also leaks, right where the shaft from the steering wheel attaches. Haven't had any adverse affects from the leak, other than having to top it off every so often and a little smoke from the fluid on occasion. Been leaking almost two years now with no major changes so until I get around to it, from my perspective, the cost outweighs the nuisance.

YMMV, ~Brian

Reply to
strchild

I'm going to monitor how often I have to add fluid. If it's a real slow leak I'll probably live with it for 6-12 months then get rid of the car (too many other small nuisance problems with it like AC broken, burning smell etc). I'm also going to have Subaru look at it (second opinion). I also have a SLIM hope that what the mechanic saw was a result of my lazy/sloppy pouring of fluid. I spilled a decent amount pouring it in (lost my funnel and haven't yet gotten another). For now, I hope to do what you're doing, live with it and refill as needed. I really appreciate all your suggestions and feedback, thanks a lot.

Reply to
Greg R