Stereo Upgrade Problem: Update and New Question

A few weeks ago I reported on my 98 Outback Ltd. stereo's CD player that had broken. Last week I bought a stereo unit from my local auto recycler - from a 2004 Outback, with the 6-CD changer but no tape player. The new unit fit perfectly into the space and the original wiring harness connector snapped into place, but the stereo would not work. It didn't even turn on, no light, no clock, no static, nothing.

Was this unit DOA, or is the pin configuration of the wiring harness different between a 1998 and a 2002 (or later) stereo unit?

I'd be surprised if the wiring had changed since the speaker layouts are the same and both head units are made by Panasonic. But it could be...

I have found a wiring diagram for the stereo harness in the 1998 Outback. Can anyone point me to a diagram for the later models?

Thanks.

Reply to
BobN

Not to be obvious but did you check ALL the fuses involved? The two units are interchangeable. Also make sure the unit you bought is not a Macintosh as that uses an external amplifier.

Reply to
Greg

There are more than one fuse for the stereo? Where would a second one be located?

Thanks for the warning on the McIntosh model - I was just about to bid on one.

Reply to
BobN

Here is a wiring list at the stereo plug for a '95-'00 Impreza:

PIN NUMBER COLOR FUNCTION

1 Remote Turn On 2 Front Right Speaker - 3 Front Left Speaker - 4 Rear Right Speaker - 5 Rear Left Speaker - 6 Constant Power For Memory + 7 Illumination 8 Front Right Speaker + 9 Front Left Speaker + 10 Accessory Power + (Keyed Off Of Ignition) 11 Black Chassis Ground 12 Rear Right Speaker + 13 Rear Left Speaker +

And for a 2K2 Impreza:

1 Violet Radio Illumination Light + 2 Red/Yellow Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Brown/White at speaker) 3 Brown/White Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (+) (Red/Yellow at speaker) 4 Blue/Yellow Right Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) 5 White/Red Left Rear Door Speaker (+) (Blue/Yellow at speaker) 6 Blue/Red Main Fuse Box, Fuse No. 2 (15A) (BATTERY - Continuous Power) 7 Orange/White Radio Illumination Light (-) 8 White/Black Right Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (Green at speaker) 9 Green Left Front Door Tweeter/Speaker (-) (White/Black at speaker) 10 Yellow/Green Fuse & Relay Box, Fuse No. 9 (15A) (ACC - Switched Power) 11 Black Chassis Ground 12 Red/White Right Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) 13 Red/Black Left Rear Door Speaker (-) (Red/White at speaker) 14 N/A Unused

PLUG PINS:

---------------

1 2 3 X X 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 2 3 4

X X = blank spots on plug

I can only verify the '02 list; as found in my '02 WRX. Still I don't see any differences that would prevent a given head from working with either configuration. I'd guess the unit is DOA . . . check for 12V at pins 6 and 10? Check connection at pins 1 and 7; be sure they're not grounded (?) Pull the pins from the connector block and tape 'em up to be sure; everything else looks to be the same (speaker +/- no matter, as long as they're all the same; in this case, they are).

Hope this is helpful.

ByeBye! S.

The second one varies with vehicle and generally is used for the memory circuits. You may just have to use a test light and check every fuse you can find.

Reply to
Greg

"Greg" wrote

Interesting. But if another fuse were bad, then my original stereo wouldn't work at all either, right? It worked just fine when I re-installed it, except for the broken CD drive. The newer DOA one has already been returned to the junkyard for a refund.

Reply to
BobN

You got-- A part from a JUNKYARD was defective-- surprise surprise. Go get a wiring harness adapter and then to your local circuit city best buy etc and buy a good receiver unit for about $99 and install that. Then go to www.crutchfield .com and get some good speakers. Subaru stock stereo (and most others) just plain suck. For $200 you will have a real nice sounding stereo-- That Works!!!!

Reply to
jabario

I just put an Alpine HU and Infinity Speakers in our '04 OBW. What an amazing improvement. It cost ~$400 and took maybe 4 hours to put in, but well worth it. The Alpine goes in without any adapers, trim rings, ets. Ditto with the speakers. Crutchfield recommended it all - nice job. The only thing they didn't tell me was that the blue wire marked for power antenna is actuall for an antenna booster in the models with antenna in the window. Once we figured that out, all was well. Go for it - it's worth it.

Reply to
Abby Kula

I had the same problem with te antenna booster. A call to crutchfield pointed that the power ant. wire should be connected to te booster. Unfortunately the suckers buying 2005 models will not get to enjoy good sound from teir legacy/outbacks

Reply to
jabario