STi Hood Scoop

Do drivers of the STi find that debris goes through the scoop and is caught on the intercooler? Leaves or other road debris would restrict the airflow through the intercooler and I assume really raise the temps. An internal screen seems like a neccesary addition for road use.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
J.M.L.

absolutely. that's why many of us have added screens:

here's a template:

others created a screen that lays on top of the intercooler. i can't find the thread though.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

Dumbest idea ever. Nothing like decreasing the airflow by 30% for $1.39.

I just pop the hood once in a while and brush off the dead insects.

Reply to
Ian Firth

what about bent fins from bits of crap getting through the scoop??

Reply to
Andrew Morris

not to mention people maliciously tossing stuff in there. it HAS happened. anyway, i wonder if the 30% reduction in flow matters for the street or highway. for the track: definately,

Reply to
4MLA1FN

I've brought up a similar question during a test drive and the salesman's answer was:

These cars are engineered and driven in Japan, where it rains a lot. All you have to do is open up the hood and blast any dirt or debris off with a hose.

I originally asked if the hood scoop would suck in water when it rained...

Reply to
ricardox

in general, i take what salesmen say with a molecule of salt. in my experience, they often know very little about the car they're selling. his reasoning about japan being rainy is hilarious. it's not like the sti if the first car with a hoodscoop.

in anycase, hoseable debris is not the concern. before i put in my screen, i had an intercooler full of little pebbles that found their way down into the fins. gotta pick 'em out with a jewelers screwdriver. since i put in the screen, it keeps near everything out...including 30% of the air. :D

Reply to
4MLA1FN

No different than the AC condensor and radiator.

Cars have lived for a 100 years with unprotected radiators, and my WRX is doing just fine with the occasional bug or rock on the intercooler.

If it was an issue, don't you think Subaru would have offered one from the factory ?

Reply to
Ian Firth

Wouldn't it let 70% of the pebbles in though ?

Reply to
Ian Firth

?? no. it lets 70% of the air through. last time i checked, pebbles were a bit larger than air molecules.

Reply to
4MLA1FN

very true; same thing with front mounted intercoolers. and we've all seen some pretty banged up radiators and condensors. again, it's not just incidental debris, but also a little protection against malicious acts.

you're kidding, right? they didn't put floor mats or mudflaps in my car. guess that means they're not needed. there are lots of things manufacturers don't put on car that people might want or need.

bottom line: i completely agree with you that this is isn't a mandatory mod. however, i know from experience that there is a hell of a lot less debris in there since i put in the screen. it's one less thing to clean. those damn wheels take forever to clean as it is. ;)

Reply to
4MLA1FN

Reply to
John Coyote