STi or WRX? any recomendations?

Hello all! I'm new to this group and planning to get a new subaru really soon. But It's a difficult choice, I really like the way the WRX I tested drives, it's really mindblowing how can you get such exciting performance from such a cheap (relatively) car. I've never tested the STi, but according to the specs, it should be waaay better. Is this true?

And most important, do the improvements justify the price tag? or can I get similar performance with the WRX + the price difference in aftermarket accesories? Any comments are really apreciated.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Read the comments.....ALL the comments before you make a decision to buy a Subaru, especially the blowing head-gaskets issue. This car WILL spend a fair amount of time in the dealer's shop. Your trade-in/resale value is VERY LOW so expect to drive it into the ground. Compared to other cars in the same price class, it WILL be faster. If thats the most important item, then by all means buy it. All *I* can say is this...READ READ and READ whats been posted in here by actual owners (and their multitude of problems).

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

Better for what? Faster sure. Do you need to carry stuff? WRX wagon. Want a smoother ride? WRX.

And you can sure make that WRX fast. My only WRX wagon owning friend made his into a 12 second car (standing start 1/4 mile times), which is faster than a stock STi.

I don't remember really well, but my friend mentioned above may have spent US$20k customizing WRX. More than $10k anyway.

If he'd started with an STi, he still wouldda needed to spend something to get the same performance, although that might have been a more cost-effective place to start. But he wouldn't get the cargo capacity, and wouldn't have as comfortable a road-tripper.

David

Reply to
David

I had my STi for a year before I traded it. If you drive the STi and the STD WRX side by side. You will pick the STi without a second thought. That's what I did. The ride in the STD WRX compared to the STi is boring. The STi is a race car, the WRX is a "sporty" car. The ride on the STD WRX is softer. But, that is because of the softer suspension. It's always a compromise. One of the most popular upgrades on the STD WRX is to go with the STi springs. It is true that the STD WRX can be made to run faster than the STi. But, very, very few folks have done this. But if you are just looking for something fast and cheap buy an old V8. For less than the price of an ECU you can be stomping all the STi's in town!

But, there is more to a vehicle than it's 1/4 mile time. I would not buy the WRX with the intention of saving a few bucks and then trying to make it "like" an STi with aftermarket parts. Remember the STi starts out with 300HP. And if that's not enough kit's are popping up that will get it up to 400+ hp. When is fast, fast enough?

The STi has better brakes, better suspension, 6-speed tranny, better seats, bigger motor, and it built to take the 300 HP. It is a real hard car to tear up even when abused. The STD WRX running near it's limits with aftermarket parts is an accident waiting to happen.

So, you might ask, "if I think the STi is so great, why did I trade it?" Well, I just got tired of the harsh ride and noisy interior and high insurance and payments. It is a remarkable car to drive. But as a daily driver it just didn't cut it for me. Comfort was more important to me than all out performance. Buy the STi if you are serious about all out performance. The STi is a whole new level of performance when compared to the STD WRX.

SilverFXT "Hey you just got smoked by an SUV!"

Reply to
SilverFXT (was BlueSTi)

I don't have either but I've driven both. STi all the way. End of story. Well, almost.

As for the poster claiming that the Impreza line suffers from poor repair records, I would dispute that. Consumer Reports gives the Impreza a pretty good repair rating... certainly not up to Toyota levels but not bad. Also consider that the Subie has a good crash rating as well. The STi seems pretty robust, at least based on countless postings that I've read.

My next car may very well be an STi. Other than the Evo, you really can't get a better performance AWD vehicle. As for the ride being too stiff, that's going to be a personal issue. I presently drive an Audi with the sports suspension which seems similar to the STi with respect to bumpy roads. I love the ride.

Just get the damn STi... best of luck!

Reply to
Byron Walter

I have an MY04 Type UK STi (261bhp) I have had it for 4 months and covered

3500 miles. My Previous Car was an MY00 WRX Saloon so i have driven both. recently.

The WRX understeered a tad under power the STi 4 wheel drifts under power and will go full on rally if you hang on!

The WRX turbo lag was manageable and smoooth ie came in gradually between

2300 - 3500 rpm, hitting the gas after 3500rpm resulted in a shove then a kick as the turbo caught up, it was noticable but not a problem. The STi has nothing below 2500rpm and explodes into life at 3000rpm much more suddenly than the WRX (so much so I took it back to the dealer thinking something was wrong), As a result of this sharper delivery it demands much more respect, however after about 4000rpm the turbo lag dies to next to nothing its not a sharp kick of power like a normally aspirated Sequential MPI engine but its there when you need it. its like taking half a second to sqeeze the throttle down rather than mashing it in a normally aspirated engine. The WRX felt faster day to day driving below 3000 rpm than the STi.

The WRX suffered from a Little body roll the STi has next to none but you suffer on the ride, It is clunky and choppy, the grandparents dont like riding in it depite the nice big comfy seats.

The STi gearbox is fantastic the lever moves like 1.5 inches selecting 1st the WRX gearbox (Still a good gearbox) felt like putty after the test drive.

The STi Brembo Brakes wipe the floor with the wrx brakes in terms of feel, power and sharpness, they are much more sensitive, to heel toe on the brembos when i moved over was much harder as when i was blipping the throttle i was modulating the brake much more and thus lurching into corners. I seem to have sorted my technique now tho.

And finally there is much more feel to the steering. The WRX never told you anything. Now i get little tugs to tell me the front wheels are slipping in a corner etc.

In my opinion, If you test drive the STi you'll buy one so if you (The Mrs) don't want the drawbacks then dont test drive it. It is an Evil seductive, addictive machine that SilverFXT has already been bitten by ;o)

Yes its Ugly, Yes its brash, yes its in your face but its got the performance to back itself up.

Ro

Reply to
Ross

I test drove both cars and without a doubt choose the STi over the WRX. I think the comments that sold me were the ones about what radio to put into it and that fact is that people waited up to 4 months before installing a radio because they loved the sound of the engine.

I admit the ride is louder, but when I put on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s, the ride noise and comfort improved dramatically. It rocks in the snow with a set of Blizzak's too (if you are in a snow area).

Sure you can modify the WRX to perform better than an STi, but you can also modify the STi even more to beat the modded WRX. The only way I was going with the WRX, was for teh wagon, but the STi has plently of truck space for my needs.

Check out the Subaru forums to, they're a good source of opinions and information.

William Warner

I totally agree with you. Here Subaru's reputation (specially older GL Wagons and all the impreza line) is of cars that rarely have to be repaired and that take any punishment you can put on a car (conciously, of course). I wonder why there are some people saying stuff like that.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I would have to totally disagree about the WRX feeling faster driving below 3000 RPM. The STi is a torque monster! I've never had the STD WRX as a day to day driver. IMO opinion the STD WRX is like, "where's the power?" Then once the boost builds, it comes on sharp and gives you what I call the "wheee!" factor. The STi is a real stump-puller. And remember, the STi has 500 cc's more displacement.

I never found it lacking for power at any rpm. And with the 6-speed you will be shifting fast and a lot. I drove mine like an old grandpa with most of my shifts occuring at the 3000 rpm level. The boost gauge rarely got above zero. Even averaged about 22 MPG. Show's how hard I was pushing it! Very civilized car to drive around town when compared to the EVO. The STD WRX have a lot in common when it comes to how the boost comes on. The STi pulls hard and smooth all the way across the rpm range. It was just way more car than I needed. If you can afford the STi, you won't regret buying it! It is a really good value for the performance.

SilverFXT "Hey you just got smoked by an SUV!"

Reply to
SilverFXT (was BlueSTi)

Thanks a lot, that's the kind of info I've been looking for. What about common problems? What is this head gasket issue everyone is talking about?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The radio is the first item to be installed

No snow here in the caribbean, What about Pirellis? I've been using that brand on my VW's for as long as I remember

Thanks a lot

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

His UK STi is different from your US STi.

Reply to
David

Us Brits only get 2litres and 261bhp to play with in the STi* you guys across the pond get 305bhp and 2.5 litres

*there is a very attractive £1800 addon that gives the 2litre 305bhp tho... R
Reply to
Ross

I keep forgetting there are 2 versions. I guess I shouldn't assume everyone has the U.S. Model! There is a world of difference between the US STi and the US WRX.

SilverFXT "Hey you just got smoked by an SUV!"

Reply to
SilverFXT (was BlueSTi)

The guy who made the negative comments is a Troll. He pops up every now and again just to try and discourage Subaru owners. I know consumer reports puts the Forester XT at the top of it's list for SUV/Car hybrids.

SilverFXT "Hey you just got smoked by an SUV!"

Reply to
SilverFXT (was BlueSTi)

This is b*shit! As easy as that...

I've been a happy owner of a classic WRX for 4 years and 130.000 km, not one single breakdown. I use it on trackdays (at least 20 by now) during the summer, and have fun on frozen lakes during the winter.

Reply to
Hans-Martin Haga

Well, I own a 2000 Impreza, I previously had a 1984 Turbo 4x4 wagon and a

1988 AWD RX-turbo.

The old subarus had a rust problem but they were fairly reliable... anymays, I never had to much problem but the RX had cracked heads, I choosed to repair. My friend had a 1992 Loyale 1.8 5spd, he had compression problems, one head was warped, he changed it

On my 2000 Impreza (less than fine years old) I already had numerous problem: Battery failed the first year, Read wiper stopped functionning (repaired it myself), Read windshiels washer noozle stopped functionning, repaired it myself, Driver side window mechanism broke (repaired by the dealer), Injector failed, replaced by the dealer $$$, radiator failed (cheap plastic and aluminium unit) replaced by the dealer. Numerous light bulbs burned, had to be towed because it woudn't start last year and the winshield cracked

I had to pay for all the repairs except the battery that was replaced under warranty. The car is not driven hard and is always maintained according to the maintenance schedule.

Upgraded the plugs to Iridium, Upgraded the oil to synthetic (engine, tranny, diff.) Install a tower strut to stiffen the front end after changing the windshield.

The only person that I know that had more problems with a car drove a SVT Contour but he picked the extended warranty.

The Impreza handles very well, had adequate power and good traction but I WOULD NOT CALL IT RELIABLE! also when you live outside of a big center, it takes forever for the parts to be delivered so the repairs almost always take close to one week. This reliability issue is giving me problems for my work.

This is my experience with the Impreza, it is not even 5 years old and already it is a source of problem.

Charles Leblanc

2000 Impreza

Reply to
Charlez

This poster, who calls himself "DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK", pops up every once in a while and spews complete BS about whatever subject is at hand. You should disregard everything he posts.

As far as Wrx vs. STi, it depends a lot on what you want to use it for. If you're used to FAST cars, or you feel that the WRX needs a few modifications to be the car you really want, go with the STi. You cannot modify a WRX into an STi for the difference in price between the two. You just can't do it.

If you have a long commute, the WRX is probably a better choice. It rides better and costs a little less to drive. New Bridgestone RE070 tires for the STi are about $800 for a set, and they last 12-18k miles depending on how you drive. There aren't many better tires available at any price, and going with cheaper replacements will degrade how the car drives. The STi gets fewer MPG than the WRX, the brake pads and rotors are much more expensive, and the insurance is always higher. Of course, you get a LOT of performance per dollar when you compare it to other cars you could buy.

If you get snow where you live, you will need a second set of tires for the STi, as the OEM summer tires become hockey pucks in the cold. Most people who try to drive thru a snowy winter on them end up crashing. Search

for these kinds ofstories and more Subie info than you can possibly absorb. The WRX, on the other hand, comes with crappy tires that are OK in the snow and inexpensive to replace. That said, almost any replacement tire is an improvement over the OEM RE-92 all-seasons.

Be sure to check insurance rates on the two. The STi has been out long enough that the insurance companies know what it is. Rates may be astronomical if your driving record is less than stellar. The WRX is expensive for some people, but is reasonable if you're old like me.

Reply to
2Stroke

If it's the regular 16" rims, the stock tires are the the Bridegestone Potenza RE92 tires you mentioned. They're actually more expensive than many very good aftermarket tires.

I've still got good tread life on them after 10K miles, but they still suck. I don't know why the Potenza RE92 is such a popular OEM tire. Manufacturers must get a really good deal on them. I've also heard that they do result in better fuel economy, which could be a reason (to help with EPA fuel economy tests).

I'd like to scrap them. I'm thinking maybe the ContiExtremeContact or Pirelli PZero Nero M+S.

Reply to
y_p_w

That guy was just baiting you. Forget about the "head gasket" issue. Just remember if you don't get the STi we will all come over to your place and slap you silly:)!

Reply to
Byron Walter