Stopping 05 OWB Seat Chime

My wife saw this online, re permanently disabling that truly annoying seat belt chime in the 05 OBW.

Is this guy serious or is he pulling our collective leg? Anyone ever try this? If not, I'll bite and report back:

The seatbelt chime can be turned off by the user. Just turn the key to the > ACC position and begin buckling and unbuckling the seat belt as soon as the > chimes start. Remember to wait until the seatbelt icon stops blinking before > unbuckling. Repeat twenty buckle/unbuckle repetitions and remove the key. > The chimes should be disabled the next time you start the engine. The > process seems to be finicky so you may need to repeat it several times > before it takes hold.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

sounds like a joke... you know that old "how to keep a retard busy -- see other side" business card where it's written on both sides.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

Bloody hell - if you have to fasten and unfasten the buckle 20 times and then possibly repeat it, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to perform a short act of self preservation and get into the habit of actually

*wearing* the thing before driving off each time. (That way you get at least 20 bonus trips in your car). Plan B is you could probably locate the buzzer then remove &/or shoot it! Cheers
Reply to
hippo

Bloody hell - if you have to fasten and unfasten the buckle 20 times and then possibly repeat it, wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to perform a short act of self preservation and get into the habit of actually

*wearing* the thing before driving off each time. (That way you get at least 20 bonus trips in your car). Plan B is you could probably locate the buzzer then remove &/or shoot it! Cheers
Reply to
hippo

Hello:

This ought to be a joke but it's not.

It actually works. I performed this sequence on my 05 Outback about a year ago to (partially) disable the chime. Afterwards you can sit in your car while idling, and ubuckle the seat belt -- no chime will annoy you. However, if you put the car in gear and forget to buckle up, it will come back on.

I had to perform the sequence a couple of times before it worked.

Griff Jones

Reply to
Griffith Jones

You could get into the habit of actually wearing your seatbelts I suppose. I mean if you repeat this buckle/unbuckle trick 20 times, then you must have had plenty of practice with using that seatbelt by that point.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

People who do not wear seatbelts are STUPID.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

My, my, but what a sanctimonious bunch you all are!

Who said anything about not using your seat belts?

The question was how to _disable_ that really annoying chime so that: when you undo your belt at the tool booth to fish for change; when, stopped, you unbuckle to reach into the back seat for something, etc., etc., you do not have to suffer that monumentally annoying chime.

Get a life guys. Nobody rides in my car without doing up their seat belt on

I bet you guys just love the beep..beep..beep..beep of trucks backing up too. Gosh, if they didn't do that, they'd back right up over inattentive jerks who might just deserve their Darwin-award like fate.

Sheeesh! bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

Hmmm ... It's called irony. I don't condone shooting cars either.

Just as an aside, I hope it does work, but removal might be quicker than the procedure! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Good response, Hippo. Right on the mark. Thanks for chiming (pun intended) in. Have a good holiday weekend. bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

First off, please hold off on the sanctimonious lectures on seatbelt use. I was using them before most of the folks on this board were born...had them installed on my 1937 Ford coupe in 1956.

The OBW chimes seem uniquely annoying and I succeeded once in taming them with the many click method only to have them come back when I reconnected the battery after a long absence. I have tried to recapture the blessed silence using the "20 clicks" method mentioned in this thread and it simply won't work for me. Any tips from successful click magicians would be greatly appreciated.

BTW my Audi has a "chime five times and shut up" feature which can be implemented from the MMI screen. I can't imagine Audi is less scared of US lawyers than Subi, but mebbe so.

TIA for any ideas. Is it all in the wrist, maybe??

Reply to
nfh

I just tried the "20 click" method on the seat belt to disable the chime and it worked - at least for now! The first two times I tried it, it didn't work, but I tried again and the third time was a charm. I have a 06 Tribeca and the directions given here weren't quite appropriate for it. The alarm doesn't chime if the key is in assessory mode, so I turned the key all the way on and it seems to be ok.

Don D.

Reply to
Don

Thanks, Don, for the confirmation. I am on my fifteenth try and I must be doing something wrong/different than I did before. Maybe I will give it a try with the key all the way on even though the bloody chimes start blasting in ACC mode on my 05 OBW. AARRGGHHH.

FH

Reply to
FH

I just tried attempt number 16 and no dice. BTW my 05 OBW also rings no chimes in the ACC position. Key must be at ON.

So I wonder if the OP misstated the technique or if I am simply too clumsy to make it work.

FH

Reply to
FH

Hey Bob, Could you post the source of the online info you cited, pls. I can't get the 20 click method to work and I vaguely remember another method (different number of clicks maybe) which more or less completely gagged the chime.

TIA

FH

Reply to
FH

I have the info posted on my web site at:

Also, here it is in a nutshell (and it sounds nutty, too, but it actually works for the 05 OB as well as the 06 Tribeca).

Good luck! -Karen in AZ-

======

Cutoff Function for Seat Belt warning chime (Works for the 2005 Outbacks and Legacys, too)

Warning: I am in no way responsible for anyone's safety...just posting this as a convenience.

  1. Turn the key to "ON" (not running).

  1. Fasten and unfasten the driver's seat belt 20 times in 30 seconds, starting from when you actually turn on the key. (This will set the passenger seat as well).

  2. Turn the ignition on, and you should be set.

  1. Setting lasts until the battery is disconnected or the system is otherwise reset.

  2. If you want to do this as a temporary thing (just for one driving period), fasten/unfasten the belt 3 times in 6 seconds. The chime will reset the next time the car is started.
Reply to
Karen in AZ

Many thanks, Karen. I will give it a try.

FH (in AZ)

Reply to
FH

Thanks, Karen.

Interesting that in some models the chimes begin when the key is in the ACC position and in others not until the key is in the ON position.

With my 05 OBW, no chime in the ACC position; only in the ON position.

I'll try again. bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

I followed these instructions from Karen's site to the letter:

I have a 2005 OBW, LL Bean edition. My chime does not begin until my key reaches the ON position. As soon as it chimed the first time, I watched my watch as I did the buckle/unbuckle sequence 20 times w/in 30 seconds..

I then started the engine, ran it for a few seconds, shut it off, removed the key, opened the door, got out, closed the door, opened the door, got in, turned the key in the ignition and as soon as I hit the ON position....THE CHIME BEGAN AGAIN!!!

There must be a difference sequence for different models.

Maybe I have to be wearing those goofy LL Bean gumboots to make it work on the LL Bean edition?? ;->

bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

Bob, I am on attempt number 20 with our 2005 OBW 2.5XT. I have gotten exactly the same results you report and have also reported that the blasted chime does not start till key hits ON position. This is doubly frustrating since I had it silenced before I disconnected the battery for summer absence. Some clickers suggest waiting till chimes stop to start clicking; Karen says click at once. Karen says turn ignition on after 20 clicks; others say remove the key....but I still haven't rediscovered the magic formula and I assure you it is a much more pleasant car without the persistent chime.

FH

Reply to
FH