Struck by leaky headgasket on `01 OBW

Well it looks like it was a good thing I delayed my 90k service by a few weeks. Last week I noticed that there was a brief 'sweet' smell coming from the drivers side area under the hood. I noticed it once after driving the car and then it seemingly went away. Well I got down on my knees and noticed a few drips of oil and what looked like an oil slick covering my oil pan. After having driven it a few more days, I noticed a few more drips before the dripping stopped. In the end my dip stick levels dropped by 1/2. After I put 1/2 a quart of oil back into it, the engine seemed to run smoother, heck even my shifting was soft as a cloud.

Two days ago I took it in to the dealership for a regular $15 oil change, and told them to look it over. They said that I've got a leaky headgasket on the drivers side. Because of the increasing 'sweet' smell of radiator fluid I'm assuming, I'm inclinded to believe that they are right about it being a leaky headgasket. So now I'm glad I delayed the 90k & timing belt replacement because they'd have to pull the engine out once more. The quoted cost for the headgasket replacement by itself is $850. The 'standard' 90k service is $740, timing belt is $380, and now this would bring it close to $2000. Howevre I plan on buying the parts in advance and either getting a direct quote from them, or shopping 2 local indie mechanics who are competent. The one lady (YES, lady mechanic) said she's worked on Subies before, and has chilton reference manuals for anything she may run into she's not run into before. Neighbors have went to her for lesser stuff and come away happy. Her rate is only $35/hr.

What is the advice on running the vehicle till I get that taken care of next week? The heat guage has NOT increased, nor has anything else happened to indicate this outside of the sweet smell and oil leak. I do NOT plan on taxing the engine or driving it more than absolutely nessecary. Besides oil levels, what else should I be checking religiously until this is fixed??

Btw - Recommended headgasket to use? OEM or a higher performance one?

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

I've been told the new improved OEM headgaskets are the only way to go.

Reply to
johninKY

You might be able to use the OEM coolant system conditioner and solve the problem. Or, if you want the gaskets replaced, check your dealer parts prices against the online OEM dealers like

or others. (Jamie is the contact there.)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl,

I'm already one step ahead of you. I'm pricing the parts at that website (timing belt, waterpump, head gasket) are only costing me around $150. Versus an estimated cost of around $275 at the dealership for the parts alone.

As for the coolant system conditioner... whats the actual name of it? What are the instructions for use? Right now I've noticed my leak has stopped somewhat, but I still get a heavy aroma of sweet coolant smell on the drivers side after driving.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Someone may have the part number. It comes in all the new soobs now and is often maligned as a 'patch' solution for bad gaskets. Wont work on the internal leaks of the mid-late 90s, just the external weeping which you apparently have. It apparently does work - but, if you can afford it and some of the labor is being done anyway - replacing the gaskets is preferable. probably still a good idea to install the conditioner/sealant.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I just had both of my head gaskets replaced at the dealership in California for 1250.00 and Subaru of America is going to pay half of that at 127K. Call and open a case with subaru and they may pay for the whole thing providing you were part of the original coolant leak campaign.

Bill

Reply to
Out Riding

How would I know I'm part of the orignial coolant leak campaign?? I purchased the vehicle with 78,000 miles in January of `06.

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Contact

and give them your vin number. They will confirm whether you had the conditioner put in and if you have a warranty.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

This has been a problem for a while. If you look at Consumer Reports the engine problems seem to stop in 2003.

I have a 2003 Forester which I bought in 2002. Has anyone had th is problm with this model?

Tks much

Mel

Reply to
Mel

Just a quick update, I contacted Subaru of America and was told that my vehicle had the coolant treatment at the 48,000 mile interval. Because it was treated, it qualifies for the warranty coverage upto 100,000 miles. Being that I'm 10,000 miles shy, they are going to replace it under warranty.

Reply to
Bradley Walker