Strut assembly/installation questions

The 04 STI springs have finally arrived and I have a ton of very basic questions:

Do longer springs go in front or back of my 05 Impreza (OBS)?

How many new self locking nuts do I need for reassembly/installation of the front and rear strut? Are both of those nuts on each strut self locking? Impreza chassis manual states: "Install the strut to the housing with a new self locking nut". Just one per strut?

I plan to take the struts off and take them to a shop to have them taken apart since I don't own a spring compressor. How many hours would they likely charge me per strut? Would they have the "strut mount socket" ST tool needed for the disassembly? Should I just buy a spring compressor and the ST tool or it's not worth it for a one time lowering job?

I haven't seen any identification paint on my new STI springs off a on the cursory look. The purpose of those is to prevent morons like myself from installing the springs upside down or what?

If I manage to mess up my struts somehow what are good aftermarket struts? I like the ride to be on the firmer side.

There is no harm if I dial too much of negative camber while I'm messing with the struts, right? I'm thinking to dial 3 more notches on the camber adjustment bolt for an extra -0 30'. The problem is that I don't have the adapter and two gauges required for the camber measurement.

Thank you.

Reply to
Body Roll

These might help with alignment;

This might help a little with the springs - looks like the rears could be a coupla inches taller;

let usknow how it works out. I might have my indie mech put some SPTs or Prodrives on my wagon later this year/early next year. You migh use some PB Blaster or other penetrant on the bolts for a coupla days - I've read they are can be difficult to breal loose with hand tools - even with a 'cheater'. If you search around
or
you might find links with pics of the process.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Does anyone know how to set the clock on a 1996 Subaru? Lost my owner's manual ages ago. Thanks!

Reply to
gbmanor