stuck gas cap

Help!

I went to the gas station today only to find that my gas cap wouldn't come off. All it does it make a racheting sound and yes, I'm turning it in the proper direction :)

The guy at the gas station said it sounded like the mechanism was worn out and it wasn't gripping properly. I've got a '94 Legacy, so the "gizmo" probably is worn out.

Anybody know how I can remove the cap so I can replace it with a new one?

thanks Rob

Reply to
rob c

The only time I've dealt with that (on a Ford truck) I wrestled with it until it came loose. IIRC the trick in that case was pulling while twisting, but I was gyrating so much with both hands jammed in the little opening trying to get it to grip I couldn't really say. Anyway, I found a position where it gripped enough to loosen. It only takes a couple seconds' grip.

I do recall it was very frustrating. No way to put gas in, and that's why we were trying to get it off in the first place, right? Grr!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Just get a wide flat tip screwdriver, and place the tip between the black cap and the ring that remains stationary (as the black cap turns)...twist the the blade, and the cap will pop off. You may have to pry it in several spots, but it works.

Reply to
CompUser

Stick a screw in it to go through the top and bottom. That or a BIG set of pliers to squeeze the sides to get it off.

Reply to
M. Butkus

In message - CompUser writes: :>

:>In article , :>groups snipped-for-privacy@rcp.ca says... :>> Help! :>> :>> I went to the gas station today only to find that my gas cap wouldn't come :>> off. All it does it make a racheting sound and yes, I'm turning it in the :>> proper direction :) :>> :>> The guy at the gas station said it sounded like the mechanism was worn out and :>> it wasn't gripping properly. I've got a '94 Legacy, so the "gizmo" probably is :>> worn out. :>> :>> Anybody know how I can remove the cap so I can replace it with a new one? :>

:>Just get a wide flat tip screwdriver, and place :>the tip between the black cap and the ring that :>remains stationary (as the black cap :>turns)...twist the the blade, and the cap will :>pop off. You may have to pry it in several :>spots, but it works.

That worked! Just in time too, the "dummy you're running on vapours" light has just come on.

Thank you!!

Rob

rob c

No. If the light just came on you could drive another 50 miles or so but, I'm glad you got the cap off. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

And thank you for the follow-up. Now I will have an intelligent approach instead of looking like Homer Simpson if it happens to me again!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

What about if your gas door is frozen shut?

I just ran into that on my outback sport. There's a little lever that you pull in the drivers seat so that the gas door pops open. The other day though, I got gas and the door was frozen shut so it wouldn't open. :-( I hit the door a bunch of times and it finally popped open. But I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to dent anything. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
wiz561

It happens to my car several times each winter. I use a piece of plastic, about like a credit card for stiffness, to clean the gap around the door. Works fine. (The plastic doesn't scratch the paint, which is why I use that.)

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Maybe waxing the edge of the gas door and the mating area would help prevent it?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In message - " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes: :>

:>What about if your gas door is frozen shut? :>

:>I just ran into that on my outback sport. There's a little lever that :>you pull in the drivers seat so that the gas door pops open. The other :>day though, I got gas and the door was frozen shut so it wouldn't open. :> :-( I hit the door a bunch of times and it finally popped open. But :>I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to dent anything. Any :>ideas? :>

:>

:>Thanks! :>

I just pop the door open with whatever's handy - usually my car key. My cable jammed up (broke?) a couple of years ago and I didn't feel like replacing it.

Rob

rob c