stuck gas cap

Threaded View

Help!

I went to the gas station today only to find that my gas cap wouldn't come
off. All it does it make a racheting sound and yes, I'm turning it in the
proper direction :)

The guy at the gas station said it sounded like the mechanism was worn out and
it wasn't gripping properly. I've got a '94 Legacy, so the "gizmo" probably is
worn out.

Anybody know how I can remove the cap so I can replace it with a new one?

thanks
Rob

Re: stuck gas cap

The only time I've dealt with that (on a Ford truck) I wrestled with it
until it came loose. IIRC the trick in that case was pulling while twisting,
but I was gyrating so much with both hands jammed in the little opening
trying to get it to grip I couldn't really say. Anyway, I found a position
where it gripped enough to loosen. It only takes a couple seconds' grip.

I do recall it was very frustrating. No way to put gas in, and that's why we
were trying to get it off in the first place, right? Grr!

Mike

Re: stuck gas cap

groups snipped-for-privacy@rcp.ca says...

Just get a wide flat tip screwdriver, and place
the tip between the black cap and the ring that
remains stationary (as the black cap
turns)...twist the the blade, and the cap will
pop off.  You may have to pry it in several
spots, but it works.

Re: stuck gas cap

:>
:>groups snipped-for-privacy@rcp.ca says...
:>> Help!
:>>
[...]

That worked!  Just in time too, the "dummy you're running on vapours" light
has just come on.

Thank you!!

Rob
www.rcp.ca

Re: stuck gas cap

No. If the light just came on you could drive another 50 miles or so
but, I'm glad you got the cap off. ed

Re: stuck gas cap

And thank you for the follow-up. Now I will have an intelligent approach
instead of looking like Homer Simpson if it happens to me again!

Mike

Re: stuck gas cap

What about if your gas door is frozen shut?

I just ran into that on my outback sport.  There's a little lever that
you pull in the drivers seat so that the gas door pops open.  The other
day though, I got gas and the door was frozen shut so it wouldn't open.
 :-(  I hit the door a bunch of times and it finally popped open.  But
I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to dent anything.  Any
ideas?

Thanks!

Re: stuck gas cap

It happens to my car several times each winter. I use a piece of
plastic, about like a credit card for stiffness, to clean the gap around
the door. Works fine. (The plastic doesn't scratch the paint, which is
why I use that.)

Larry Van Wormer

-

Re: stuck gas cap

Maybe waxing the edge of the gas door and the mating area would help prevent
it?

Mike

Re: stuck gas cap

:>
:>What about if your gas door is frozen shut?
:>
:>I just ran into that on my outback sport.  There's a little lever that
:>you pull in the drivers seat so that the gas door pops open.  The other
:>day though, I got gas and the door was frozen shut so it wouldn't open.
:> :-(  I hit the door a bunch of times and it finally popped open.  But
:>I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to dent anything.  Any
:>ideas?
:>
:>
:>Thanks!
:>

I just pop the door open with whatever's handy - usually my car key. My cable
jammed up (broke?) a couple of years ago and I didn't feel like replacing it.

Rob
www.rcp.ca

Re: stuck gas cap

Stick a screw in it to go through the top and bottom. That or a BIG set of
pliers to squeeze the sides to get it off.

and
probably is