Studded snow tires or non-studded?

2001 Legacy L Sedan AWD

My wife had new all seasons on the car last year from Sears and got stuck in our own driveway in just 5 or 6 inches of snow.

This year I plan on getting dedicated winter tires. I was all set buy a set of 4 from tirerack and they tried to talk me out of studs, saying the new style winter tires have more snow/ice traction without studs - I just don't see how a plain tire without studs can grip slippery snow that has black ice under it. I would think the studs would scratch into the ice to pull as long as the center of the tire did not allow a bubble of ice to form.

I checked the current posts and didn't see any talk about snow tires, but I would assumethis question comes up this time of year, John

Reply to
JohnC

They are right. Some of the new winter tires have silica in the rubber and sipes that grip the ice better. The studs lift the sipes off of the road, and they wear horribly on dry pavement. So, unless you are in a really cold place where ice always covers the road and doesn't melt, your studs would only be effective for a few weeks. Then you'd be better off without them.

Reply to
FNO

If she got stuck with AWD and new all-seasons in just 5-6" of snow then your money is probably better spent on driving lessons. Take it from a Canadian, driving style is everything on snow, regardless of the vehicle or equipment.

Canadian eh!

There are many conditions where studs are detrimental to traction. I think they are right and you are better off on average without them. They also tear up the roads.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

You are better off with studless Q rated snow tires such as the Nokian RSI, Blizzak's or Michelin Ice-x tires. If you want an H rated tire look at the Nokina WR or the Dunlop M2 or M3. I drive in New England, a lot up in Vermont on back roads and have never felt the need of studs.

Reply to
JDC

One of the cheap limited slips would probably do you a lot more good than different tires. TG

Reply to
TG

I really dont understand what others are saying. Studs have proved to be in EVERY condition better than any studless tires, so please consider what you are doing. I do understand that studless are better to drive when roads are clean and dry. I have had 6 years studless and 12 years with studs. This year, with my new WRX I didnt even consider anything else than Nokia HP4 tires with studs.

What ever material the studless have in it rubber, it doesnt make any difference compared to friction with studs. I havent seen one test article that would state different. Studs are the ones that really bite, but arent in every conditions the most user or road friendly to drive.

"JohnC" kirjoitti viestissä:kp9pd.2$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.lga...

Reply to
JP

ISTR they are illegal in some places (Montreal, QC?). Legal here, in St. John's, NF. Gonna put mine on soon.

Reply to
Juhan Leemet

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:29:39 -0300, Juhan Leemet wrote: [snippage]

er, sorry if this was multi-posted, my news server went crazy for a while.

Reply to
Juhan Leemet

OK, I'm willing to learn, can you reference any tests that show better traction with studs on wet surfaces?

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

Studs will do nothing for snow, they are for ice. Just got mine installed. Main difference so far : lots of noise. Looking forward to getting some ice, though !

Hans

Reply to
Hans

As others have noted, studs are a tradeoff. Ice traction is GREATLY enhanced, while high-speed emergency avoidance manuever handling on dry or wet pavement is rather severely negatively affected. Studs are no panacea, and they are noisey.

The new generation of "performance snows" from Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc., with H speed rating perform really quite well in snow, ice, slush, wet, & dry. Clever tread design, sipes, and silica compound - good stuff.

Reply to
Danny Russell

Well you guys are talking about compromise all the time. Dunlop. Bridgestone, etc. do not manufature any good stud or studless tires what comes to real winter tires. And Im not talking about mid-range all season tires. The real stud and studless manufactures are Nokian, Conti Winter Viking and thats it.... others just dont do the job.

Well you naturally cant read finnish but for example Dunlop was the poorest tyre in all test ;-)

"Danny Russell" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
JP

Danny Russell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My impression, perhaps based on the first generation of such tires, is that they wear much faster than "conventional" snows. Is this still true? This is of concern since I usually drive about 10,000 miles each winter.

Reply to
Larry Weil

enhanced, while high-speed

severely negatively affected.

with H speed rating

design, sipes, and silica

Yes. Any tire represents a compromise; studs included. While we have a significant amount of ice where I leave, we also have a considerable number of freeze/thaw cycles and the benefits of studs go away after a few months from being beat up on dry roads. In addition, the compounds in all-seasons are not very good for us, because it is cold enough that an all-season loses grip quickly (happens jsut below freezing). We also get dumped on with significant amounts of snow. Consequently, an intermediate compound snow tire with aggressive tread is way better than anything else.

If you live in the north where is freezes and stays that way, studs are the way to go. Otherwise, winter tires have been designed with intermediate conditions in mind; they are not bad on ice, not bad on snow, not bad in the wet and not bad in the dry. They are not the best in any of those conditions. But, on average, studless tires are better since the tire manufacturers have not designed them with studs in mind.

Reply to
FNO

I think it is the studs that can wear quickly if you drive a lot on dry pavement, even if it is winter/cold. The studs end up getting rounded and their effectiveness decreases. I think they can still "work" to some extent by providing a pressure point on the icy surface, which I believe can actually cause the ice to melt, providing a place to "grip". The physics must be pretty complicated, tho, since wet ice is more slippery than dry, but the little depression must provide more grip for the stud to "fit into". Sharper stud edges are better (smaller contact pressure point, better grip), but those sharp edges do not last long. ISTR someone saying the studs themselves lose effectiveness in about 10K miles or so? So it's a dilemma: studs are initially better, then become worse than other snow tires. It also seems obvious that the tire area used for studs leaves less tire area for treads. As they say, YMMV! 8^)

FWIW, I have studs, going into my Nth winter with them. We'll see...

Reply to
Juhan Leemet

Thank you FNO.

Of course I'd love to feel the secure bite of studs at every icy intersection I stumble upon (who wouldn't?), but they wouldn't work for me in Michigan where I drive 85% of winter miles on dry pavement and the other 15% on treacherous, rutted & ice slicked, ungodly conditions. Not everyone has the same blend of driving conditions to deal with, therefore different strokes for different folks.

I've sincerely been blown away by the overall performance of the Dunlop Wintersports on my OBS for the last three winters. By far the most satisying tire I've ever purchased. IMO, the new Nokian WR looks to have been heavily influenced by it. I will buy it again.

By contrast, my summer tire for three years running has been the Bridgestone RE-950, and while it has been a good tire, it just lacks personality or something, I can't quite explain it. I won't buy it again. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

stumble upon (who

winter miles on dry

conditions. Not everyone

strokes for different

Wintersports on my OBS for

IMO, the new Nokian WR

RE-950, and while it

explain it. I won't buy

I had Dunlop Wintersports on my old Taurus SHO. They were a good tire. Lasted me 4 winters, though on the last winter they spun badly going up Teton Pass, and I got stuck with them twice in deep snow. Good choice for a midwestern tire. I think some of the newer tires may be able to challenge them for wear though....

Traded for the Outback and ordered a set of studless Yokahama Guardex K2 F720's mounted on some nice 5 spoke aluminum wheels that I bought only because steel was all sold out at the time, but they look sweet.. They are UNBELIEVABLE in the snow and great on ice. Not all that bad on dry roads, not as good as wintersports, but nothing to complain about. This will be there third season on my 02 Outback Wagon with limited slip rear diff. They have maybe a couple thousands less tread than a brand new pair of BFG TA HR4 all season tires that I have sitting in the garage. The Yoka's are definetely better in the snow than the Dunlop Wintersports and seem to be wearing about slightly better actually (I will be the first to admit that its tough to compare though - 2 different cars and drivetrains - but same driver- same sort of road trips).

I dislike the summer Bridgestone Potenza's that came with my Outback. I agree with you completely here - nothing to get excited about in these tires at all. Not that good at anything, and wearing as if they are sticky or something. Cheap OEM. Oh well. I'm excited to get some new ones. Probably go with something long lived.

Oh, here is a pic of my setup. Since this shot, I added some Yakima crossbars, and redrilled my Spacesaver box so that I could move it ahead slightly allowing me to open my trunk completely.

nate

02 OBW MT5
Reply to
uglymoney

Yeah, looks cool Nate. It's tough to beat the look of a basic 5-spoke alloy IMO, I did the same for my spare set of wheels.

I'm going to look into those Yokahama's. They've always made a good tire.

-Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

I tried Blizzak's & they worked OK, but they wore out fast! Soft compound in the rubber. I will stay with my studded tires, they work great & last a lot longer.

Reply to
Ken