Studded snow tires or non-studded?

Don't know about where you live, Danny, but in the areas around Detroit studs are illegal anyhow.

June

intersection I stumble upon (who

85% of winter miles on dry

ungodly conditions. Not everyone

different strokes for different

Dunlop Wintersports on my OBS for

purchased. IMO, the new Nokian WR

Bridgestone RE-950, and while it

can't quite explain it. I won't buy

Reply to
Diva

I live in Warren. Although I've never checked the law, I 'spose that what you're saying would go a long way towards explaining why I've never seen anyone with studded tires around here. LOL -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

I've never driven with studded tires, I've just never felt the need for them. For the past 4 years I have driven a Toyota Corolla with plain old snow tires up here in Burlington VT with no problems whatsoever. This year I traded in the Corolla for a 2005 Outback LLBean wagon. I am getting snow tires, but not studded ones. My friend has a 98 Outback wagon, this is her first season with the Outback as well. She went for the studded tires. She hates driving in the snow anyways and having studded tires made her feel better I guess. But I think I'll be more than fine without them. If the Corolla didnt need them then I cant see why the Outback would, right?

Reply to
kristen

I'm in Chesterfield. Did you get your Subie at Suburban? Do you like their service?

June

that what you're saying would go a

tires around here. LOL -Danny

Reply to
Diva

Yeah Suburban. The sales experience was less than satisfactory, but I've never used their service department for any labor. I've purchased a few parts and manuals from their service department and all was well, but I think that if I were to seek dealer service I would use Hodges. Their parts-counter guy John is absolutely tops, plus Hodges sold Subaru exclusively way before it was "cool", so they have the mojo. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

Mmmmm, I can't site any official "tests", per se, but I comment on this issue. I race the ice rally-cross events in the winter, (an autocross course on a frozen lake) and I have never seen the fastest times from the "bare tire" classes even come close to the times posted by the studded class drivers. Why? Because studded tires offer more bite on ice, period. This is not to say that studded tires are gonna be optimum for most drivers; they're noisy, and potentially (I've heard arguments both ways) hazardous in emergency/high-speed maneuvers on dry pavement. Where I live, we typically have snow and ice (particularly ice) on the road during most of the winter months. I personally prefer the security of studded tires under these conditions, and happily sacrifice dry pavement performance in favor of being able to get up and down the hills consistently and safely. My $.02, YMMV.

ByeBye! S.

I completely accept their superiority on ice. The previous poster had claimed they were better on *all* surfaces. I remain skeptical. Thanks for the input though.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

They are only effective on bare ice in a limited temperature range, I personally don't bother with them anymore because of the noise and the fact that usually they use a hard rubber compound in them which is not as good on snow as a softer one. If I had a 2wd vehicle I probably would still use them but I don't and probably never will again :) I had Blizzaks last year, which worked great and I have Michelin X-Ice to put on this year, they look like they will be even better but we'll see.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Studs are illegal in most of the places I've been to and through, because they tear up the pavement in dry, non-extreme conditions.

Reply to
k. ote.

My computer performed an illegal operation yesterday. You think I should turn myself in? :^)

Reply to
Danny Russell

We ended up buying Sears Weather handler witrh studs - open agressive tread pattern and same price as tirerack.

Reply to
JohnC

I hope they do a review on this policy soon, especially up here in Canada. The latest studded tire technology from Europe is apparently very pavement friendly.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan