Sub. Outback 2005 sun/light sensor problem

I have noticed that my dashboard is lit even on the bright sunny day. While this light hardly noticeable, switching ignition off defenetly turns off background light (however hardly visible it is). I have tried covering and uncovering sensor with the black cloth, no difference.

Should not the light sensor (behind the windshield on the right) turn on dashboard light only when it's dark ? Is dashboard suppose to have background lighting at all times (the same goes for the buttons which control locks and windows)?

Maybe sensor make the lighter higher when it dark (like a tunnel or an evening)?

thanks

Reply to
LB

I thought that sensor was used to control output of the A/C on the automatic climate control models. When the sensor is in direct sun, it sends that info to the A/C computer which compensates for the direct radiant heat from the sun by increasing the cooling factor.

Reply to
ZZ

What does your owner's manual say?

Reply to
Alan

I read the manual back to back, and it says absolutely nothing, other then pointing tothe sensor and stating that it's a solar sensor. It does however mention that this sensor in the context of the automatic climate control (together with the temp sensor). Hence ZZ may be right. This sensor may not have anything to do with the dash board light. Light may be on at all times. thanks

Reply to
LB

Reply to
mulder

No parking lights, in fact no lights other then day time running lights which you can not turn off.

I also called a dealer. While the guy on the phone knew next to nothing, he said that lights should be off when there no other lights.

I guess I will have it checked in my next oil (or first) oil check.

Reply to
LB

Reply to
mulder

Call SOA at the 800 #. They can usually answer this kind of question.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, dimming works fine when lights are on.

Reply to
LB

Resolved!

I just called SOA 800 number (as was advised here), and the answers is that dashboard lights are ON AT ALL TIMES, this is normal.

Thanks to everyone!

Reply to
LB

While you had them, did you complain that it is stupid idea?

Reply to
Alan

Maybe it only applies to cars with dtrl feature - in which case it may just be 'lazy' wiring. Cheers

Reply to
hippo