Subaru 1993 brakes - parts advice please

I've got Subaru Impreza 93 (front wheel drive) that needs complete front brakes job. Other than that, it's in a good shape, I guess.

Mechanic I trust offered to buy parts from Subaru dealer or install whatever I buy myself. Dealer is insanely expensive (e.g. brake disc = $83). So, I am unsure which way to go. Is going OEM parts really necessary/advisable? Here is what I've got:

Cheapest OEM:

- $52, pads - $58. Total = $220 + shipping Local NAPA autoparts: prices from
rotor - $25, "premium" rotor - $75 pads ("Organic Tru-Stop") - $19, "Ceramic Safety Stop" - $43 Total: $88 or $136 or $236 + shipping

Online from

Brembo Brake Disc, vented - $34, Hawk HPS Pads Set - $67Total = $111 (shipping is free) So, what should I go with? Money is tight so saving is good but not at the expense of safety in any way. Parts longevity is not so much an issue since I don't drive much and the car is old anyway and I don't expect to keep it longer than 5 years.

Please share your experience/advice/preferences. Thanks.

SimGa

Reply to
Simon Garfunkel

I'd go with the Brembo rotors - I'm sure NAPA sells quality parts but you can't beat that deal with a stick. Brembo is a very well respected name in brakes, so no worries there. I personally have no experience with Hawk pads but I suspect that that's also a good deal.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You will not compromise safety if you go with the least expensive parts you found, and they will last. I know NAPA and they are good, and expect they get parts from the same manufacturers as a lot of other chains, like Brembo.

If any of those parts were inferior your mechanic would be able to tell and wouldn't install them if they are unsafe knowing you have choices.

Pflu

Reply to
Phluge

Simon Garfunkel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Brakes are consumables.

The low end NAPA parts should be fine for normal driving but will start to fade sooner if pushed to their limits.

If you do solo racing or pizza delivery go with the Brembo's.

It comes down to how you drive, but unless you're a total maniac I'd ride with you on the cheap NAPA's.

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen