Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S fuel economy numbers bubble up on EPA site

From AB

Small, rear-wheel drive, manually shifted coupes tend to be easy on gas, right?

Well, in the case of the Subaru BRZ and the Scion FR-S, maybe not as much as we'd have hoped. Sure, they have smallish 2.0-liter four-cylinders and six-speed manual transmissions, but their hunger for gasoline is just average. Official EPA fuel efficiency numbers are in, and the BRZ and FR-S with manual transmissions net 22 miles per gallon city and 30 highway on premium fuel. Still, that's about the same as the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the four-cylinder and manual tranny which gets 21/30 on premium, and it's better than the aging Mazda MX-5 Miata which returns 21/28.

The BRZ and FR-S chug less fuel if you outfit them with the optional automatic transmission. They probably won't be as much fun, but they will return numbers close to 25 city/34 highway.

Reply to
MummyChunk

Stick a low tech low output american 4 banger in it an you'd be right

Any einstein would conclude here that the gears a spaced as close or closer on miata AND the car is missing an extra cog. Cause missing an extra cog keeps the car fun during highway slog and me thinks hardly anyone short of little miss sunshine parents would take miata on a long trip where you might find some utility in that extra 6th cog (losing all the fun in the process)

"Probably?" my dear, you must be kidding or taking the prospective BRZ audience for idiots. Me thinks you are looking in the wrong place, a mustang forum would be more appropriate. You could have discussions there about the high tech setup in the rear on that wonderful muscle of a car.

Reply to
AD