Subaru Extended Warranty...

Greetings all,

I was quoted a price of $1950 for a Subaru Extended Warrant from the 3 year/36,000 miles to 7 years/100,000 miles. Is this a good price and is it worth it? We put about 10,000 miles per year. This coverage would be for a

2006 Outback Sedan 2.5i limited. Total $'s of the deal at about $28K drive home, with a few options...

Thanks for your input/thoughts...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Pelka

Even after the 3/36 warranty expires you still have the powertrain warranty to 5/60. Chances are any expensive repairs will be powertrain related so given that you drive only 10K/year you're buying 2 years extra for that $1950. With the generally good reliability of these cars, especially the non-turbo models, you'd be better served keeping that money in the bank and earning interest rather than handing it over to the dealer and never seeing it again.

Reply to
mulder

Would have to agree.. at 10K you have 6 years of power train warranty. My problems (trans and timing chain) were at 45K. Unless you expect to keep it past 6 years. Do the math and dump the $2k in the bank and save it for repairs. I do 22 - 25K a year.

Reply to
M. Butkus

I bought such plan in 2000 (for my 2001 Forester) for $1400. So far didn't have chance to use it. The car has ~54,000 miles now...no problems whatsoever.

Boris

Reply to
Boris

WRONG!!! What if ABS unit goes? Air Conditioning? Computer? xtended warranty is a good bet if you deal them down

Reply to
bigjim

I don't buy extended warranties (actually, repair insurance) on any of my cars because I am a dedicated DIYer. Most of my cars have been used with over 100K miles on them when I bought them, so it isn't an issue for me anyway.

Like any insurance, it is always a losing game on the average. The question is: do you have the money or credit available to take the chances?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee