Subaru Fuel economy

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an early 90's Legacy or Loyale Sube. I do a lot of highway driving and need a car good on fuel. I know the Soobs are not as good as comparable sized cars (because of the AWD). But, I was wondering if anyone has calculated their fuel economy on a regular basis, I'm curious to know what the "real world" results are. Fueleconomy.gov is a good comparison, but its not real world.

Thanks.

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

I've got a 2.5l 1995 AWD Legacy 250T wagon with the 4EAT and about

165,000 km (102,000 miles) on the clock. I calculate the fuel use every tankful.

Driving locally around the city (lots of 1 - 10 km trips with cold engine, mixed street and motorway) it is almost always between 9.9 and

10.1 l/100 km (28 - 28.6 mpg, 24.7 - 25.2 mpUSg).

On a long trip loaded with 3 - 4 people and luggage, travelling at 110 km/h (70 mph) on NZs hilly, winding, 2 lane roads, with frequent hard acceleration to get past slower traffic, I get around 8.7 l/100 km (32.5 mpg, 28.7 mpUSg).

I would expect it to do better if we had multi-lane roads between cities as in the USA, but we don't so there you are.

When towing a sailplane on a trailer, it goes to around 11 l/100km (25.7 mpg, 22.7 mpUSg).

Other than the towing, this is about 10% worse than my previous car, a

1991 Toyota Corona 2.0 five speed. The towing is about the same :-)

I think it's worth it for the large amounts of extra room, power, and AWD.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

I think the Leg's with the 2.2 will get about 30mi/USgal on the highway. I don't know for sure (I don't own one...I've a Leg. with a

2.5). The Leg's with the 2.5'll get about 27mi/USgal on the highway.

If fuel economy's your main concern, you'd be better off with a smaller, less massive car with a smaller engine, e.g. Honda Civic, Ford Focus, or Toyota Corolla, to name a few. If you're driving on multi-lane, divided highways most of the time, front-wheel drive should suffice.

Speaking of the Corolla, how's the fuel economy of the AWD Matrix?

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Thanks for the response, I live in Canada (Edmonton area) and found your info very helpful. 32mpg is pretty good for a car that size. I imagine it might be a little better with a five-speed, which I really would prefer. I do about 65% highway driving, so I would probably get pretty close to what you get, maybe better. I am getting to like these cars the more I research them. I just hope I can find one, there are not many for sale, and I find them a little overpriced.

Hopefully, if I take my time, I can find a good one without breaking my budget.

Thanks again.

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

That is pretty good

I live in Quebec and I drive a 2000 impreza with 2.2l 5spd

Milleage is very bad in the winter especially when it is cold. I am pretty sure that we get "winter gas"

My best results are:

In the summer, running 73mph on the highway with 90% highway and 10% city, I get 31-32mpg (us gal)

With mixed driving with alot of passing and some stop and go, I usually manage to get around 27-28mpg (us gal)

With 100% city driving in the winter, my fuel economy drops alot in the

18mpg range. Remember, this is 100% city driving and the temperature is very cold

Pulling a 17'x8' sailling catamaran on a long trip with the speed in the

65-70mhh range, I can get around 20-22mpg (I was driving from Virginia Beach to rimouski, a 1150 miles trip

I am getting a worst milleage on the trailler pull but a thing that there is more windage with my boat. The problem is that when you have 1150 milles to drive, you have to drive fast, by reducing the speed, I would have a better fuel economy. Also, you have to stop and check your load on a regular basis.

As far as fuel economy, it is better than other cars that I had. While my engine is not as efficient as t Vtec or VVti engine, the power and torque are well matched with my drifing style and the weight of the car. Also, it means that you can put 400 miles on one tank of fuel or 6.5 hours at 73mph.

The higher fuel consomption is not really caused by the Awd system, It is caused by a many factors. The engine, the aerodynamics, the performance and the driving style.

Charles Leblanc Impreza 2000 2.2L

Reply to
Charlez

I have been averaging in the range of 25 to 27 mpg with my STi. Most of the magazine reviews were only averaging about 18 to 20 mpg. I think that's because they drive the STi like a stolen rental car! The key to good gas mileage IMO is keeping your right foot light on the pedal. BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

I have a 2001 Forester S 2.5L. I recently did a short 300mile trip. I got 28.5mpg on that trip. I havent really looked at my mpg for the city yet.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My 165 horsepower 2004 sub gets better milage than my 125 hp 2000 neon ever did

Reply to
No Way

I just looked at the spreadsheet I kept for my 2002 Impreza RS (I got rid of it about 2 years ago...didn't have it long) and the lifetime average was 23.4 MPG. This an unknown mix of city/hwy driving and included a Minnesota winter and a 3 day/1,700 mile driving trip

Reply to
null_pointer

Ryan,

I suggest that you try to get a MY 93 or 94, as these are less prone to rust that the 90-92 ones. You'll be less tempted to get rid of it after a couple of years. I live in Montreal and my 90 Legacy LS is rusted like hell. 93-94s have much less rust, and it's not only because they're more recent. 32mpg is optimistic. Don't be afraid of the AT, it's a beauty and it is reliable.

Felix

Reply to
Felix Crashalot

You cannot put "fuel economy" and "Subaru" in the same sentence.

Reply to
Chicken'n Toast

sorry, but if you're getting that kind of milage out of the car you're not allowed to own one!

(jk)

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert
2004 Outback wagon with auto. Gets 24mpg average and once 26. Has 5000 miles on engine

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

| You cannot put "fuel economy" and "Subaru" in the same sentence.

BZZZT.

You just did.

john cline ii, who just had to

Reply to
john cline ii

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I think most folks buy a Subaru for other reasons than gas mileage. After all you can a drive a little Metro if all you want is gas mileage. Here is my reason for buying the Subaru:

  1. We previously owned a Subaru Legacy Wagon and it was a great car.
  2. AWD is important if you live in mountainous areas with snow.
  3. How many cars can give you 300 HP and get 27 mpg?

IMO the Subaru strikes a great balance between gas mileage and performance. BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

Hey, don't forget the Justy!

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Yea, the Justy is cool. I seriously considered one. They are just getting really hart to find.

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

i'll say it again... your milage is in no way indicative of the milage of the overwhelming majority of STi owners.... or of subaru owners in general, for that matter. i don't know how you're driving, but it seems like a lot of flat highway miles with cruise control set to

Reply to
Ken Gilbert