Subaru OEM Oil filter

What company manufactures it. Is it preferable to use OEM?

Reply to
Jim

IIRC, Purolator makes the filters. I buy mine at Auto Zone for around $5. OEM is about $11 for the same filter except that OEM is painted black.

Reply to
Ragnar

That's correct. Purolator. You can get oem filters a little cheaper at online subaru dealers like 1stsubaruparts.com and subaruparts.com

Reply to
Rat

Reply to
Edward Hayes

ditto... I paid $16 for 2 filters and the crush washers he threw in for free -- does pureone give you the washers?

Reply to
Mike

No, you don't get washers. I don't need one since I use a fumoto valve instead of the OEM bolt.

Reply to
Ragnar

My dealer charges about the same as Ed's--just under $7. Depending on how he feels that day, I may or may not have to pay for a crush washer. Don't remember what I paid for a PureOne when I tried it, but I'm pretty sure it was in the $8 range.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Depends. The standard for non-turbo models is by Purolator. The one designed for turbo models is by Tokyo Roki (not a misspelling). There isn't anything comparable to the black OEM filter for turbo applications.

Reply to
y_p_w

I think I'm getting them from subaruparts.com for $4 and I think $0.90 for the crush washers. I usually but in lots of 5 at a time, if that make a difference. The OEM filter is made by Purolator and appears to be of good quality, at least MUCH better than the typical Fram unit.

-Kurt

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

I'm pretty sure that the Subaru manuals call out the same oil filter for my '99 non-turbo Outback as for my wife's '04 WRX.

Reply to
Jim Stewart