Subaru Outback vs Mazda6 Sport Wagon

I haven't had a chance to testdrive the Mazda6 SportWagon yet. The way I see it the PROs and CONs are:

Mazda6 PROs: Smooth V6 at reasonable price. Reasonable fuel ecomony. CONs: No AWD.

Subaru Outback i PROs: AWD Very reliable CONs: No so great fuel economy. Not such a smooht engine.

What do others think ? I do currently own a Subaru Outback Wagon.

Reply to
Andrew Elder

After owning many Mazda's and many Subaru's I would expect the Mazda to be at least as reliable and probably more so and also less maintenance intensive. TG

Reply to
TG

If you haven't test driven it, how do you know its smooth?

Reply to
Ragnar

Do you want or need AWD? This is the "BIG" question. Only you can answer this question.

Reply to
Subbies Two

I test drove a Mazda 6 wagon and then bought a Subaru 3.0-H6 Outback 35th anniversary edition wagon. I liked the sportiness of the Mazda, the quick and easy way the rear seats flopped down but found the road noise objectionable, didn't like the coarseness of the seat fabric, didn't like the sport shift feature as implemented by Mazda (you have to push the stick forward to down shift which is counterintuitive) and finally felt that there was more content in the Subaru than in the Mazda for the same price. Oh yes, I also decided that I wanted all wheel drive.

Reply to
JDC

I suspect this is true if you've been used to driving an automatic. Intuitive to me on a stick is forward, replicating the 4th to 3rd gear shift.

Too bad Mazda doesn't just add the button shifter on the steering wheel as an option.

Reply to
John

I was at almost the same choice you. I was stuck between the WRX wagon, the mazda 6 wagon and the RX-8. The RX-8 was out because I'm 6' 240 wih long legs I head my head when I got in the car. I got the WRX. I wanted to go fast( almost 2 sec. faster to 60mph) and I never had a awd car. I'm very happy with my car. I get in the low 20's mpg in "sprited"(thats great for me my other cars are a '64 Grand Prix w/tri-power and '56 Ford PU w a chevy

327) driving and take a corner like it's on rail( I upgraded to 17 X 7.5 w/

counterintuitive

Reply to
Bryan Lee

I was at the same crossroad about April this year. I also had a Jetta TDI Wagon in the mix. I eliminated the Jetta based on owner satisfaction and dealer servicing complaints. The Mazda drive wowed me... big time. The sport wagon looks like a Euro tourer ala BMW or Audi style. Cool eh? Don't let the emotion get to you, that's what they want. Look closely at the Mazda. The build quality. The size of the front foot wells (cramped). Footwell parts fell off as I got out of the Mazda after my third test drive. Read reports about the brake problems. Consumer reports rated the Forester Top Pick! Best SUV we've ever tested. Similar reports for the Legacy. I ended up buying a Forester XS instead of the Legacy GT I originally wanted, Why?, It just fealt right. I always had an aversion to conspicuous consumption. I had never test driven the Forester but thought I owed it to myself even though I had never considered an "SUV" style vehicle. At 400 lbs lighter than the Outback it is a better performer. Unless you have adult sized rear passengers you will not miss the rear leg-room and overall headroom. Look at ground clearance, resale value. The cookie-cutter factor. Look at owner satisfaction. Look at the parent companies (Mazda=Ford). Note that Legacies are built in Indiana, Foresters in Japan. Mazda in the US. Besides, do you really need 220hp? I'm happy with my decision and I researched the shit out of my car purchase.

Regards, Harry

From: "Andrew Elder" Subject: Subaru Outback vs Mazda6 Sport Wagon Date: August 11, 2004 12:40 PM

I haven't had a chance to testdrive the Mazda6 SportWagon yet. The way I see it the PROs and CONs are:

Mazda6 PROs: Smooth V6 at reasonable price. Reasonable fuel ecomony. CONs: No AWD.

Subaru Outback i PROs: AWD Very reliable CONs: No so great fuel economy. Not such a smooht engine.

What do others think ? I do currently own a Subaru Outback Wagon.

In the end, when the rubber meets the road, it is not the lack of coarse seat fabric, it is the AWD that sells the Subbies. People don't buy Subarus because they are worried about chafing their behind in other car's seats. They buy Subbies because they go where other cars wont go.

Reply to
Subbies Two

Yeah!

Reply to
John

Nah. What I *really* need is about 400hp. But I'll settle for 220. For now.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

All,

Thanks for all the insights - very valuable. I guess I should also figure out where to post this question to folks that chose the Mazda over the Subaru.

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Elder

What transmission do you have? Is it a manual? I have been thinking of either a Forester or an Outback for the second car, but am still trying to make up my mind.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I haven't ridden in a Forester or an Outback yet. I love the Impreza chassis though. I took mine for a single test drive, popped the hood, and pretty much bought it right on the spot. I love the comfortable seats and the handling.

I have a 5-spd manual and in 5th gear @ 75mph I am running about 3,200-3,500 rpm

Reply to
Henry Paul

Don't know about the Mazda 6 but after owning only Subarus since 1978 I broke down and bought a new Mazda3 Sport GT in April mainly because it reminded me of WRX in handling and performance but was Can $10,000 cheaper.

But one week ago I traded it in for a 2005 Outback 2.5i automatic and after a couple of long trips already in the Subaru I could not be happier to be back driving a *real* car!

Here's why I returned to Subaru even though trading early cost me some $$$. The Mazda had excellent "zoom zoom" performance and handing, firm suspension, high quality finish, lots of hi-tech gizmos - and the price was really low for what you got.

But it also had low ground clearance, an overly hard ride with excessive road noise, lo-profile tires with wheels that looked like a kiddy cart, a tinny feel to it, easily scratched paint, the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had on a car, black upholstery and inside finish that showed every scuff mark and bit of dirt, and a small tank that seemed to eat gas like a thirsty camel (or maybe it was the zesty way I drove it).

With my Outback I feel like I'm home again :-) A quality car with some heft to it, real man's tires, ground clearance that gives me confidence in going on backcountry forest dirt roads with high crowns and potholes, and an amazingly comfortable 8-way power seat.

Due to an emergency at home I had to return yesterday in a blistering heat wave from Vancouver to the Interior of BC yesterday in heavy traffic - a tiring 9-hour drive but the seat was still comfortable. I now have about 1500 km on the car altogether and am still babying it by keeping below the recommended 4000 rpm but it still had adequate power.

But the amazing thing has been the good gas milage so far. I have been keeping a very accurate record and yesterday's trip involving two mountain passes with A/C going all the time averaged out at 36.9 miles per gallon (Imp) or about 7.8 litres/100 km. I find that incredible but assume it's due mainly to the 4th. gear ratio. At exactly 100 kph the engine was only turning 2300 rpm!

So in my books your choice is a no-brainer. If you can afford it buy the Outback!

P.S. No, I don't work for Subarau nor do I own shares - wish I did:-)

Reply to
teekaynospam

Automatic. I've always had manuals before but now I'm sold on the automatic partly becuase of the manual shift feature and "sport" setting.

I looked at the Forester but don't like their proportions since they are based on the Impreza chassis with an expanded body, whereas the Legacy based Outback just looks "right" and of course has more room and rides better. The 2005 Legacy/Outbacks are an excellent, major redesign of a proven line.

Reply to
teekaynospam